Was Wondering What Your Thoughts Are About...

Lounge By cabecakes Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm by -K8memphis

cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:46am
post #1 of 9

the cake stacker support systems. I was looking at them today, and I was thinking about putting this on my christmas wish list (maybe just a small set to try them out first). Has anyone here tried them. Interested in your opinions. If you haven't seen them, this is the site http://www.cakestackers.com/cake-stands.html

8 replies
Kellbella Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 9

I was just browsing this site today!!! I'm thinking I might give a set a try....looks sturdy.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9

My particular thought is that I like the easy way. So decades ago I went to an all disposable set up. I charge the bride for whatever I use in her cake so that's worked best for me. They can then discard it all if they want which seems more convenient for them.

I just figure people have more important things to do that day than to twitter about making sure dirty dishes get rescued from the innards of the cake and set aside and returned to moi.

GI Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 9

K8 - what do you use, then, that's disposable? dowels, plates, etc.?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 9

Cardboard circles if for larger tier I hot glue them together with the ribbles inside going at opposing angles for strength and I insert bamboo skewers down the ribbles for reinforcement if necessary. I use foam core too.

If they want pillars I just tack on the price of the pillars to the cake. If it's such that I need the corresponding plate and can't use foamcore or cardboard, then the bride buys it she can do anything she wants with it.

I make and sell disposable plateaus. It's a lot easier to me and my bridelettes. I toy with the idea of making and selling plateaus on etsy. I love to make plateaus and stands.

I used to use wood dowel--now I use plastic--all that stuff is disposable.

tracycakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 9

To me, that looks like a lot of work and trying to get everything back is a pain. I used SPS and it's easy to use, sturdy, and disposable. It's part of my price for a tiered cake. If I'm travelling and the wreck is strong enough to put a cake on it's side, the cake is gonna be messed up, regardless of the support system.

My hubby started doing his own research on cake support systems to find a 'better' one and came up with the same decision I made a couple of years ago, SPS.

GI Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 9

K8 - I LOVE Etsy! My friend is very very crafty, she's on Etsy. She blogs, too, about the stuff she makes & sells.

Well I guess I just need to break down and buy an SPS setup. I looked at Wilton's single plate system, just didn't look very sturdy, in my opinion! icon_rolleyes.gif

cabecakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for your input. Right now I just use cardboards circles and plastic tube support system and I stack on location, but I only do this as a hobby for family and friends. I just really wasn't sure if this system was worth the expense for someone that only does it on occasion. I think for the time being I will stick to what I know.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

K8 - I LOVE Etsy! My friend is very very crafty, she's on Etsy. She blogs, too, about the stuff she makes & sells.

Well I guess I just need to break down and buy an SPS setup. I looked at Wilton's single plate system, just didn't look very sturdy, in my opinion! icon_rolleyes.gif

I woke up this morning thinking about making stands to sell on etsy.

Jeez when the cake bug bites it doesn't matter if you can be legal or not--it's a life sentence. Solitary confinement does suck though. ~~~

Sps is very cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%