Edible Image Printer

Decorating By sebrina Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 6:35am by bcake1960

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:30am
post #1 of 3

I was thinking of asking Santa for an edible image printer for Christmas. I know nothing about them but I have had several requests for images on cakes lately. Any suggestions as far as brands to buy or NOT to buy?
Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:08am
post #2 of 3

First you need to research which printers take edible ink.

http://www.photofrost.com/CartridgeChart.php

http://www.kopykake.com/documents/PrinterInks-Xref.pdf

Then go shopping for a "new" printer. I was lucky to find a new Canon ip4600 on Craigslist for $40. then I just bought the ink. After a few tweaks on the settings (likes picture quality setting) it works beautifully. I have some pic in my photos.

You cannot use an edible image printer and switch out between edible ink and regular ink, it will not be food quality safe. So I keep my ip4600 solely dedicated for edible images.

You can also buy edible rice paper in 100 sheet quantity for around $20-23 ish. My local cake supply store sells 4 sheets for $4.00!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:35am
post #3 of 3

I have an Epson nx415 $75.00 like poster above said once you tweek the settings (print on photo setting) it works great.. I made the wine label on my cake I did today with it and was really happy with the way it came out.. the other thing I like about it is it has a scanner so I can scan photos and print I find I am using it more and more.. I purchased the paper online from the same place I purchased the ink. You will love your printer.. and yes be sure to keep it seperate for food safety.. Oh I also read to take out the ink cartridges when not in use and store in a zip lock bag.. Just read that yesterday Thought I would give that a try it makes sense.. good luck.. & Merry Christmas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%