Fondant Barrel

Decorating By kascehorrigan Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 5:34am by Torts

kascehorrigan Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:12am
post #1 of 2

How do I make those great looking fondant barrel cakes. I can't find anything anywhere....

1 reply
Torts Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:34am
post #2 of 2

Well, I'm not sure what type of barrel you're talking about- I did a barrel of apples, so it's not like a wine barrel, but it was a lot of fun! I'm not that experienced of a cake decorator but you can look at it in my photos. To make the wood, I rolled out the fondant (that I had tinted brown) and cut rectangles for the slats of wood. I took a knife and made rough marks on the fondant and cut tiny pieces at the top. Then I used a rubber pastry brush to paint the wood with a mix of vanilla extract and Americolor chocolate brown. You'll want to paint both sides since you can see the inner side once the barrel is made (if you're doing the type I did). I'd let them dry for two days- they got hard and dry that way... use a blow dryer on cool if you need to accelerate it- it worked wonders for me. Once dry, I just affixed them to an 8 inch buttercream covered cake. Then do some sort of band around it- I was going to do two strips of fondant, but it wasn't holding up, so I just used some rope I found in the fabric dept at Hobby Lobby. I kind of liked the way it looked. I filled it with fondant covered rice krispy apples.

Not sure if that's the type of barrel you're looking for, but hope this helps a little if it is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%