Cake Ball/cake Truffle Questions

Baking By Evoir Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 9:30pm by MamaMia808

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:37am
post #1 of 4

Hello there everyone!

I am thinking about using up some frozen bits of cake to make cake balls or cake truffles for Christmas this year, as I have been asked for petitfour type cake desserts for several Christmas functions.

I have never made these before and so those of you who DO make them, could you please help me with some information?

1. What are the best substances to 'bind' to cake mixture? What should the texture be like before freezing them (including how 'wet')
2. Do you dip them in melted 100% chocolate, or do you thin the chocolate with butter or cream to make it less brittle?
3. What size should they end up being? Should they be about the size of a mini cupcake?
4. How much do you charge for these little suckers? If you don't want to post your prices, just indicate the cost as a proportion of what you charge for a mini cupcake (eg, 75% cost of a mini cupcake, 150% cost of a mini cupcake etc).
5. Do you add alcohol to the cake mixture?
6. What are the most popular flavours for cake balls?

TIA for all your help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a site that can answer a lot of your questions:

http://simpledailyrecipes.com/1603/cake-balls-the-new-candy-truffle/

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

I think a whole can would be to much. I make my own and would measure it to be about half a can.

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 4

I bake my cake for cake balls and never use more than 2 or 3 spoonfulls of icing to hold it together. Freezing the cake balls (even decorated) works just fine as long as you wrap them in bags so when you thaw them out the condensation goes to the outside of the cello and not on the pop. DO NOT try to eat them cold or frozen because it will make your cake taste dry. Wait for them to get to room temp for a moist cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%