Absolutely Nothing Wrong With It...

Decorating By twistedsplinters Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm by cathyscakes

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 12:58am
post #1 of 21

I made a beautiful tinkerbell themed cake today... The person is an hr late picking up the cake, then i get a call 3 hrs later them telling me that the cake smells sour .. icon_confused.gif She then even says that it taste sour, so i tell her to bring them the cake back so i can look at it and see formyself , she meets me another 4 hrs later I smell the cake, it smells sweet like bc icing and vanilla cake I taste the icing taste just like bc icing. I tell her there is nothing wrong with the cake that, that is how bc icing smells and taste and it doesnt taste or smell sour at all. Then her little friends get out of the car and say weve had buttercream icing before even a couple of days ago and it didnt smell or taste like that. I told them I do not know what to tell you but its not sour smelling or sour tasting and the were trying their best to convince me that it did, This was the 1st cake "and last" that they have bought from me. I refunded it back all but the cost of the cake and took the cake back and its in the garbage.

But i just cannot believe that they thought is was sour and bad it isnt at all. icon_mad.gif
Tink is in my album if you wanna look [/img]

20 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 21

Their complaint is nothing but "hogwash". Your cake is lovely, and BC doesn't go sour. Period. Sugar stabilizes it, and even if kept out of the fridge, I've had bc taste just as good a week later. I'm sorry that happened to you!!

aaarghhh.........some people.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 21

First, I've never smelled a sour butter cream iced cake. Don't think it can happen unless sitting out in the sun for at few hours and refrigerated for a few weeks.

Second. good for you! She brought her mob and you didn't back down.

Third, you got the cake back so you could put it in the garbage.

Maybe she watched too many shows and thought you would cave!

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 21

Ur cake looks amazing!!!! And I bet it tasted great too!!! Some people will do just about anything to get a free cake...

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #5 of 21

How much of the cake was left over, the whole thing or did she only bring back a small piece?

twistedsplinters Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:57am
post #6 of 21

the whole thing but exept finger holes in it from everyone poking and tasting it but there was also candle holes she said she let her daughter take a pic with it.

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:02am
post #7 of 21

Wait a minute! This doesn't make any sense. She gave your beautiful cake to her 3-year-old to take pictures with candles, and then she took it away from her???? icon_confused.gif And they all poked their fingers in to taste it? Sounds like buyer's remorse. Good for you that you didn't let them talk you into thinking there was something wrong with the cake.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsplinters

the whole thing but exept finger holes in it from everyone poking and tasting it but there was also candle holes she said she let her daughter take a pic with it.

OMG--are you serious????? So they used the cake as a prop for great pics and then returned it for, what, a 50%+ refund? icon_eek.gif

Betcha' $$$ they had another, probably free/home baked, cake to serve so rather than freeze yours, they decided to make that your problem icon_cool.gif

These are the type of people who undoubtedly buy a dress, wear it with the tags on, get sweat stains on it, and then return it to the store!

What a bunch of pigs!

No way they'd have gotten a dime back from me--a flattened cake on the hood of their car, maybe, but not one thin dime.

Rae

twistedsplinters Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:26am
post #9 of 21

Ive been doing cakes for 10 years now and I have never had a complaint about my cakes and my icing being sour, or smell sour.. Almost every person I sell to msgs me on fb or emails me that they loved my cakes and some I dont hear from until thenext year for the same bday again. I have never issues a refund since I started 10 years ago Its my 1st and I only did it to get rid of her and told her that I was only going to give a partial refund and not the full amount that there was nothing wrong with it at all. Her MIL said that they would NOT be buying from me again I said that is fine with me and sent the refund about to her debitcard. So, hopefully I will not hear from them again bc even if they decided to order again I really wouldnt sell to them bc they are problem causers lol

twistedsplinters Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:50am
post #10 of 21

Also I contacted the other 6ppl whos icing was made from the same big batch and just colored different and they all gave it great compliments soo I believe it was buyers remorse as well but I gave everything but cost back just to not deal or see her again.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:13am
post #11 of 21

So, sorry to hear this. What a shame if they would realize the time you put into it. Maybe they would understand that there game was rude icon_mad.gif . I really don't think people get what goes into some of these cakes. They only see the shows with ten people working on one cake. Heck, they don't even wash there own dishes.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:17am
post #12 of 21

Your cake is adorable. When they said to you, "weve had buttercream icing before even a couple of days ago and it didnt smell or taste like that", it made me wonder if they had a Walmart for store cake, as most people have had and they just think that is how it is supposed to taste. Being young (or so it sounds from your post), they may never have had a homemade cake in their lives and so they don't know what a quality bc actually tastes like.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:37am
post #13 of 21

Your cake was awesome! Good for you for standing your ground!! thumbs_up.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:52am
post #14 of 21

Probably decided that she was n't going to eat a cake, little children had poked their hands into, who knows where the hands been before

And then decided that as she wasn't going to eat it anyway, you would have to eat the cost, as she did not serve it. She is making you pay for her not being able to control the kids

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:24am
post #15 of 21

I am so sorry this happened to you. I agree that those losers have probably never tasted homemade buttercream. You are a great person for giving them anything back at all. They are just losers looking for a free cake. icon_mad.gif

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:06am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsplinters

OMG--are you serious????? So they used the cake as a prop for great pics and then returned it for, what, a 50%+ refund? icon_eek.gif

Betcha' $$$ they had another, probably free/home baked, cake to serve

Agreed. thumbs_up.gif What a great lesson to teach a child...

I'm also wondering if they mistook the smell and taste of real buttercream frosting since they'd only had canned or wallyworld frosting?

And since when do you not cut a cake to taste it?? Who in their right mind, who is serving cake to anyone, just sticks a finger in it to try it? That just doesn't make any sense to me. And it's gross! Did they even taste the cake itself? You are right - you are better off w/o them as customers!

twistedsplinters Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #17 of 21

Never tasted the cake at all, just the icing ..

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 21

So they never cut into the cake? Im now thinking if they just poked fingers into cake and tasted, Maybe the sour taste they are tasting is coming from their unclean fingers!!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:19pm
post #19 of 21

A few months back I had a young couple try to get a refund on their 3-year-old's Star Wars birthday cake because it was "dry" and "tasteless". They waited until three days after the party to tell me this and claimed they had to throw most of the cake away because it was inedible and an embarrassment (their words).

When I explained that I could not issue a refund without testing the uneaten portion in a timely manner (not three days after it has been cut into), they proceeded to tell me that it also didn't have the buttercream icing that they had ordered.

I don't know what icing they thought I had put on it, but at that point I knew they were just having buyer's remorse, and probably had never eaten a scratch cake with homemade icing in their lives.

Some people will try anything to get money back. It is hurtful when it happens, but just think of all the people who have complimented the same exact cake and are repeat customers.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:28pm
post #20 of 21

I agree with all that she sounds like a scammer, but just did want to say when I was first starting out I made a butter-based bc for my niece's birthday cake that sat at a park where her party was and the heat/sun did turn the icing somewhat rancid, so that is possible. That would never be the cake-maker's problem though!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:37pm
post #21 of 21

Also had the rancid problem on an outdoor cake that was sitting in the sun. I won't use butter anymore in a cake that won't be in a cool place. It was for family, and I could taste it, no one else did. Your cake is so cute, don't know how they could do that to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%