Defrosting/de-Chilling Cakes

Decorating By zespri Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 11:50pm by cakesdivine

zespri Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 4

When I defrost my plastic-wrapped cakes, how would I stop them from becoming wet? I had this happen to me yesterday, I wonder if I didn't wrap it properly, I think it is the air that makes the cake wet?

Also when de-chilling refrigerated fondant covered cakes, is there any special treatment required to stop them 'sweating' when taken out of the fridge? Or just leave them on the counter to come to room temperature?

3 replies
Mikel79 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 4

I no longer freeze any of my cakes for this reason. When defrosting a cake, you will always have "some" wetness on your cake.

Some Cakers swear by freezing cakes, others don't. To each their own. When defrosting make sure your wrapping stays on the cake.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 4

I always freeze my cakes, and thaw them at room temp un-wrapped and have had good luck. Just my experience icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 4

Always unwrap them and begin leveling & torting while they are semi frozen (about 10 minutes sitting at room temp) Fill & crumb ice while semi frozen. allow to defrost fully and settle, then chill and fully ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%