Stressing Out!

Decorating By russette80 Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 5:30am by russette80

russette80 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 12

So to begin with, I have my very 1st Wedding cake to deliver today. its 4 tiers high, fondant, has snowflakes sticking out all over it. Ok, if having to make and deliver was not enough. I woke up to 5 inches of snow and it is NOT letting up. I have stairs to walk down, outside.

I have to come up with something to cover the cake so there is not water spots on the cake. I really wanted to deliver already assembled, I dont want people to see me show up with an unfinished cake and be like, OMG, that looks horrible.

however I dont think it will even fit in the car assembled, unless it is on my legs and Im holding it. I think my legs would fall off by the time I got there. So im sitting here wondering if I should go finish the cake OR take it to the reception and finish it there.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks if you hung in there and read this entire rant, lol. icon_smile.gif All in all I'm still SOOOOO very excited to have done my 1st wedding cake! If anyone has any advice, PLEASE feel free to post!

11 replies
hvanaalst Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 12

Sounds like our alberta weather made a little detour to nevada. We had a couple feet of snow this week.

As for the cake, Maybe assemble it in two parts, two tiers to each, then just put those together when you get there. Make sure you take some stuff for touch ups and proper tools to put it together. Riding on your lap is recipe for a cake wreck for sure.

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 12

I agree. Go early and assemble there. A lot less likely to have any catastrophies.

Crazboutcakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

Sounds like our alberta weather made a little detour to nevada. We had a couple feet of snow this week.

As for the cake, Maybe assemble it in two parts, two tiers to each, then just put those together when you get there. Make sure you take some stuff for touch ups and proper tools to put it together. Riding on your lap is recipe for a cake wreck for sure.

that was my thought as i was reading your post. If it is in 2 tiers than you'll have much less time to assembke on site.

Ruth0209 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 12

You should be able to wrap all of it loosely with plastic wrap. Transporting two 2 tier cakes and putting them together there is a very good idea, especially with a fondant cake that's neater and easier to handle than buttercream.

Next time, you should spend more time before the last minute thinking about transport. You should have a big tall box with a rigid board (like a wooden one) in the bottom that you can transport all your cakes in. I have one that's slit down the side so I can slide the cakes in and out of rather than put them in or try to lift them out of the top (they're too heavy to do that).

If it's slick, get someone to help you carry them up and down stairs. You must have a friend who would think it'd be fun to help you make a delivery.

Ambar2 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 12

Professionals do it all the time...I dont see why you shouldnt be able to do it!

sweetcakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 12

too late for today, but sounds like you need a cake safe, your situation is ideal for one. since you dont, id take it in 2 or 3 peices and finish onsite. and take lots of extra snowflakes incase they get snapped off. good luck.

Goonergirl Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 12

Snowfall and ice is the story of my life here in Canada. I've got a 4 tier waiting here on my table for delivery in a few hours. It's totally assembled. I've used a good support system and done everything I could to make it as stable as possible. I've delivered 4 tiers before, and it's scary, but definately possible. I prefer not to assemble on site unless its 5 tiers or more. As for putting it on your legs...I wouldn't try that. I usually use the passenger seat. It seems to be the smoothest ride. If it's snowing or raining, I cover it with those giant clear garden leaf bags. They don't use chemicals on those ones like they do on regular garbage bags, and it looks quite professional. Congratulations on your first wedding cake, and good luck!!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 12

Box it --I mean if it's cold enough to snow that should be an advantage delivering--five inches is not a pure advantage however. But if you have it boxed you have a little more to hold onto.

Kellbella Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 12

{{{HUGS}}} I'm stressed too just reading about it!!! I would assemble on site and save some sanity. Good luck ,leave early and drive slow. It will be o.k. thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 12

I'd definitely assemble on site, there's much less chance of things falling over that way!

russette80 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:30am
post #12 of 12

Everything turned out GREAT! Made it safe and sound. put the cake in the hatchback trunk "FULLY ASSEMBLED" and decorated. I used the Cake Stackers support system, pretty Awesome support. Happy it is OVER! Thank you for all the replies and support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%