Fondant Accent On B/c- How Far In Advance Can I Dec/store It

Decorating By DCcakegirl Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 9:37am by brincess_b

DCcakegirl Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:48am
post #1 of 3

I am pretty new to cake decorating and this is my first post. My questions probably are obvious to most. please be gentle icon_wink.gif

I am making a shower cake for Sunday. It is a two tier cake covered in buttercream with fondant circles and stripes. i was hoping to assemble and decorate the cake tomorrow, but if i decorated cake and store it in the fridge, will moisture bead up around the fondant? If I assemble and ice the cake tomorrow, can I apply the fondant shapes the day of? will they stick to the crusted buttercream? would piping gel work to adhere the fondant to crusted buttercream?

I normally use all fondant on a cake like the one requested, but they wanted to cut back on cost, so all buttercream and fondant accent was the way to go.

2 replies
Frecklysmom Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:10am
post #2 of 3

Don't store it in the refrigerator unless it has a perishable filling. I don't know how everyone else does it but I would put the whole thing together, put it in a box and leave it on the counter until you deliver it. I have never had any problems with sticking the fondant accents on with piping gel if there is some reason you need to make the accents ahead of time. HTH

brincess_b Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:37am
post #3 of 3

if you sre applying the accents after the cake has crusted, it may work to just use water. or you can use bc, piping gel, ri or chocolate to stick it on.
have you refridgetated cakes before? use that as a guide as to whether or not you will have condensation problems. if you leave the cake in a box in the fridge, and then to come to room temp, condensation should form on the box, not the cake.
however, i also dont refridgerate cakes, so i would just finish the cake, and leave it covered on the counter.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%