Wings....

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm by Motorhead

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 5:38am
post #1 of 5

I have an idea for a cake with an angel. She'll be on a wintery snowflake cake.

I want to make her more graphic than anything. Not 3d, I'm not confident in creating a life like person. More like a sillouhette. So, my original idea was to create her flat up the side of the cake but want her wings to pop off the cake a bit.

I'm thinking sparkly, pretty, super girly blues & whites. I suck at cake design, so I'm taking a risk with something so creative. Worst comes to worst...it'll just be all snowflakes! I guess - think fairy.

But, what should I make the wings out of? And, her for that matter? The finish will be buttercream. Could I, should I use gumpaste? I've tried that once before.

Oh - I have one of those strapless wedding dress cutters. maybe that would help with the body?

What are your thoughts?

4 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 5

The wings could be made out of rice paper, or fondant with lots of little holes poked in using the small end of a piping tip to make it look more delicate than solid wings. Or out of gelatin, I have a book with bees in it and it doesn't seem that hard to do if you were keen to look into it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 5

Or pate choux--cream puff dough for wings. I have a picture somewhere--the wings flapped too. Kind of a strange cake so don't laugh.

brb...

If you click on it it gets bigger... The wings are nice.
The cake is sort of a science experiment to see if I could get the wings to flap--the angel was emerging from her 'coccon'...in a perfect world... icon_lol.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 5

How about chocolate? You could use a lace or filligree (probably not spelled right, but I tried. LOL) pattern and make several in a short amount of time. Then just insert the wing into the buttercream at an angle.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 5

i made a dragon (in my pics) and tried experimenting with many different mediums for wings. i finally decided upon the rice paper-dry (tried wet-no go) i also put some luster dust on the wings-made them almost iridescent and exactly the look i was going for. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%