Do You Make Anything Weird For Thanksgiving?

Lounge By Elcee Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 2:19am by 3GCakes

Elcee Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:08am
post #1 of 26

Something offbeat, non-traditional, just plain strange, or, as in my case, something a little embarrassing?

Here's mine. Everyone in the family had a favorite pie, and I made all of them each year, except for my dd. She just doesn't like pie, although she loved to help make them. One year, I think she was probably 4 or 5, I was walking around the grocery store trying to think of something special she could have for dessert on TG.

Here's the embarrassing part icon_redface.gif . I grabbed a tube of chocolate chip cookie dough and a brownie mix. I lined a pie plate with the cookie dough and filled it with brownie batter and baked it. It was a huge hit icon_rolleyes.gif. I thought (and still do think) it's just awful but 20 years later I'm still making 2 of them every year because everyone fights over he brownie pie and wants to bring home leftovers! icon_lol.gif

Anyone else want to share?

25 replies
3GCakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 26

I still make and ADORE waldorf salad. I had it every Thanksgiving as a kid, because my Grandmother and I made it every year.

She died in 94, and I came to find out that not many people liked it.

Well...we went several years without it, until a few years a go, I started wondering what happened to it. So, I started making it.

For those who don't know what it is...it's sliced up, raw apples, celery, grapes (pitted globe grapes, usually) sometimes some nuts or even raisins...and REAL mayonnaise! (not light mayo, not Miracle Whip) Hellman's is preferred.

There's no better way to ruin a big huge bowl of fruit than to douse it with mayonnaise! It puts the Thanks in Thanksgiving. Srsly.

cheatize Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #3 of 26

Ugh. I hate Waldorf salad. I swear whoever made it the first time only did so because that was the only food in the house. LOL

My family has Reames noodles that are boiled and then chicken stock (made with bouillon) is added and thickened with corn starch. It's quite bland and I refuse to eat it anymore.

The other thing we do is broccoli bake: broccoli mixed with Ritz type crackers and Velveeta type cheese. Mix it up and bake it until the "cheese" is melted. Man, if there's a way to make healthy food as unhealthy as possible, my family does it.

I also gave up pretending to like cranberry sauce- the gelled version. Straight from the can onto a plate. Blech.

cabecakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 26

I don't think I do anything "weird". My menu usually consists of either/or/or both ham/turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade noodles, sweet potatoes, dressing, oyster stuffing, lima beans, green beans, mac and potato salads, various pies including but not limited to: pecan, pumpkin, lemon meringue, chocolate and also blueberry and raspberry cheesecakes. But strangely enough...NO CAKES. LOL.

poohsmomma Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 26

We have something that is a regional dish, but I don't know if it's considered weird or not. But I have served them to people who have never seen them and have no idea what they are-banana croquettes.

You take some nice, firm, slightly green bananas and peel and slice them into about 2 inch pieces. You make a dressing with miracle whip, a little lemon, milk and sugar (or use a slaw dressing).Dip the banana into the dressing and then roll in crushed peanuts. Yummy!
We can't have Thanksgiving-or any other gathering for that matter-without them.

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 26

My sister always makes something weird. I don't think it's intentional. But last year we had cranberry-horseradish sauce, for example.

Elcee Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

For those who don't know what it is...it's sliced up, raw apples, celery, grapes (pitted globe grapes, usually) sometimes some nuts or even raisins...and REAL mayonnaise! (not light mayo, not Miracle Whip) Hellman's is preferred.

Sounds interesting. I may put it on my list of things to try someday. Sounds like it may have been a 1950s recipe.

Quote:
Quote:

I also gave up pretending to like cranberry sauce- the gelled version. Straight from the can onto a plate. Blech.

You know, I buy a can of that crap every year. I also buy a whole bag of cranberries of which I use maybe 8 to garnish the stuff! I slice it really thin, arrange it on a special plate so it looks like flower petals, arrange fresh cranberries in the center and add a sprig of something green so it looks lovely and after dinner I throw it ALL AWAY! No one touches it but I can't seem to stop myself from doing it icon_lol.gif.

Elcee Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

My sister always makes something weird. I don't think it's intentional. But last year we had cranberry-horseradish sauce, for example.

My mother is a good cook, but I sometimes wonder about her ability to read recipes. Some of the recipes she tries are unappealing to even read, never mind cook or eat. Maybe your sister suffers the same affliction? icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

You take some nice, firm, slightly green bananas and peel and slice them into about 2 inch pieces. You make a dressing with miracle whip, a little lemon, milk and sugar (or use a slaw dressing).Dip the banana into the dressing and then roll in crushed peanuts.

Hhmmm...interesting. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

But strangely enough...NO CAKES. LOL.

I do a cake because my SIL's birthday is on 11/25 so we always celebrate on Thanksgiving. He usually takes the whole thing home, though. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 26

elcee, I just posted on another thread about breaking those kind of "traditions". We dont' have pumpkin pie OR cranberry anything because no one eats it. I actually have friends who are shocked that we dont' have those things. I guess they're on the "posta" list .... you know, you're POSTA have those regardless!

Growing up, my mom tended to do a picnic thanksgiving. Potatoe salad instead of mashed potatoes; baked beans instead of a regular hot vegetable. Mostly cold foods. Reason was she believed in letting food sit out all day so people could eat all day long, and "picnic" food was ok. (god when I think of all of the mayo dishes I ate as a kid that sat out all freakin' day back then!!!)

First time I had a "hot" thanksgivig with hot foods, it was a little strange .... but we DON'T have a picnic thanksgiving at our house! I converted right away! thumbs_up.gif

Elcee Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

elcee, I just posted on another thread about breaking those kind of "traditions". We dont' have pumpkin pie OR cranberry anything because no one eats it. I actually have friends who are shocked that we dont' have those things. I guess they're on the "posta" list .... you know, you're POSTA have those regardless!

LOL icon_lol.gif I just read your other post and thought I just posted about the cranberry sauce! I don't have too many "postas" as you call them. I like to try new things, though, and my family doesn't so it seems like I just keep adding to the menu and never take anything away. This year I'll TRY to not buy the can of cranberry sauce but no promises! Oh, and the pumpkin pie is MY fave so it's not going anywhere! For the past couple of years I've given my DH a choice between apple or chocolate pecan because I don't want to make both anymore and my DD is taking over the brwnie pie.

leily Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 26

i'm not sure what someone else would consider strange for food. But growing up there was always one family gathering that we didn't have turkey. We always switched up what we did because there was tooo much turkey for everyone (we all had at least two gatherings some had four... plus christmas was only 4 weeks away were we had more turkey)

Some things we did were homemade tacos (well, taco shells), spaghetti dinner, lasagna, mexican, chineese.... pretty much anything BUT turkey or ham lol.

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

i'm not sure what someone else would consider strange for food. But growing up there was always one family gathering that we didn't have turkey. We always switched up what we did because there was tooo much turkey for everyone (we all had at least two gatherings some had four... plus christmas was only 4 weeks away were we had more turkey)

Some things we did were homemade tacos (well, taco shells), spaghetti dinner, lasagna, mexican, chineese.... pretty much anything BUT turkey or ham lol.

Oh, we never have turkey for Christmas. I used to make lasagna and a cheesecake, but hubby won't eat lasagna anymore, so now I do mexican food...carne guisada, sour cream chicken enchiladas, rice, beans, homemade salsa, and piles of homemade tortillas, followed by tres leches cake.

I just won't cook a turkey more than once a year.

Elcee Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Oh, we never have turkey for Christmas.

I won't cook a turkey on Christmas, either. On Christmas day DH will cook a ham and I make a side that can also serve as my entree. For the last 2 years we've been doing that at my dd's house.

But Christmas Eve dinner is all mine. I make someting different every year. I spend days, weeks agonizing over and planning the menu; NO suggestions allowed. I'm off work at Christmas so I can really spend a lot of time making it perfect. We're SO not a magazine picture perfect family but my Christmas Eve dinner menu and table decor are definitely magazine worthy icon_smile.gif.

Elcee Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

But growing up there was always one family gathering that we didn't have turkey. We always switched up what we did because there was tooo much turkey for everyone (we all had at least two gatherings some had four...

leily, that's a great idea. My sister-in-law's mother-in-law used to do Thanksgiving breakfast so her kids could have dinner at their own in-laws and my mil used to do an Easter get together on "Easter Eve" so that her kids could do the same on Easter Sunday. I thought both were really gracious.

indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 26

On the subject of multi-dinners, gosh I just HATE that! Rushing from home to home, being too full all day long. The day is just not enjoyable!

When I first got married, I made it clear that I would not do 2 dinners. So odd years we were with my family and even years we were with his. Worked out wonderfuL! No last minute "what are we gonna do?" thing. Everyone knew what our plans were and they could plan around that.

When I got divorced, the ex came up with a good idea (hate to give him credit for it, but it WAS a good idea!). He also didn't enjoy the holiday with his kids because they were full by the time they got to his house. So he suggested that I keep them on Thanksgiving and he would take them all day the Friday after. He would get them the whole day and they would have their own dinner together. This also worked out GREAT for everyone! Since this was the one holiday a year we didn't hvae to share the kids, we became very selfish. We didn't go to other people's homes for Thanksgiving .... we had our own dinner, just us. Others were welcome to come over but we were being a fmaily with our own dinner in our own home.

Thats why its our most treasured holiday, even now that mykids are grown andmarried.

cutthecake Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #16 of 26

No turkey on Christmas!
Our weird things fall more in the category of "mistakes".

Here's one Thanksgiving tradition I won't be carrying on: One year I forgot to put sugar in the pumpkin pie. Everyone was anticipating a sweet dessert, and it tasted like bland sweet potato pie. My brother-in-law hasn't let me forget it.

Then there's the year I panicked because there was very little meat on the turkey, and I couldn't figure out how I was going to feed all those hungry people. Turns out I had cooked the turkey upside down. There is virtually no no meat on the back of a turkey! When the bird was flipped over, the meat was very tender and juicy. I have since read articles recommending this method, so I guess I was a pioneer!

Then there was the year my newlywed sister made a casserole (actually, it was several) with 25 pounds of apples and sweet potatoes--for 9 people. We had gallons of the stuff left over.

Karen421 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 26

Our "weird" Thanksgiving and Christmas thing is lefsa. Lefsa is a Norwegian flat bread made with potatoes, rolled very, very thin and cooked on a lefsa grill. It is served, buttered with sugar and rolled into a tube. I married into this and it did take me a couple of years to get acquainted with it, but now - it's now the holidays without it! icon_smile.gif

GI Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:22pm
post #18 of 26

"Cool Whip Salad" is a must on Thanksgiving! icon_biggrin.gif

And my kids & I had lasagna made with 32-hr sauce on Christmas.

And tho its not a food item, we always watch "What About Bob?" on the holidays, too! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Awent9 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:00am
post #19 of 26

Oh I love Waldorf Salad too! Bringing it up makes me want some right now!!! Nothing really weird at our Thanksgivings except the family haha! It's getting hard though because my husband and I just got married 3 years ago and now we have 2 little ones so it's hard to figure out what to do for the holidays! The holiday's are really important to my mom, and since my dad passed away 5 years ago (he would have been 57 this past saturday icon_sad.gif...) it's been an especially tough time of year! And now even more so because the holiday's are so important to my husbands family too! It's hard thinking about not being with my mom on Thanksgiving though, it's no time for her to be alone!

GI Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:41pm
post #20 of 26

Awent9 - does your mom live close by? why don't you just invite her to join you and the grandkids! And ask her to bring the Cool Whip Salad (aaahheeemm,,,,NOT,,,,I repeat,,,,it is NOT Waldorf! icon_lol.gif )

Awent9 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #21 of 26

yea i invited her, she's really stuck on doing it at her house! holding onto the past i think... and i don't blame her, but i was just trying to make it easier on her! now she is working, normally she has thursday night off (she works 3rd shift) but she picked up the extra shift... so now she's not doing anything... it's complicated! obviously!

what is cool whip salad? is that the one with mini marshmallows, and pistachios or something?? and i absolutely adore waldorf salad haha i just do!

3GCakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awent9

yea i invited her, she's really stuck on doing it at her house! holding onto the past i think... and i don't blame her, but i was just trying to make it easier on her! now she is working, normally she has thursday night off (she works 3rd shift) but she picked up the extra shift... so now she's not doing anything... it's complicated! obviously!

what is cool whip salad? is that the one with mini marshmallows, and pistachios or something?? and i absolutely adore waldorf salad haha i just do!

Yeah, high five! Finally someone else who respects the Waldorf! icon_biggrin.gif

Awent9 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 12:27am
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Yeah, high five! Finally someone else who respects the Waldorf! icon_biggrin.gif

HIGH FIVE FOR SURE!!!! i remember the first time i had it was in culinary school, we've been in love ever since haha

Jayde Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #24 of 26

I love cranberry sauce! I do make mine homemade with fresh cranberries and sugar and cranberry/raspberry juice.

We dont really have anything strange but TG has gotten a little weird since I cannot eat wheat anymore. There are two kinds of stuffing and no stuffing in the turkey anymore, two kinds of green bean casserole, gravy thickened with cornstarch, and pies made with and without crust. So it seems like we have a TON of food, but its just my family's way of making sure I enjoy TG just as much as they do.

Jayde Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:51am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awent9

My mom makes a strawberry cool whip salad with strawberry jello, chopped fresh strawberries, cool whip, chopped pecans, and cottage cheese. We usually have it for Christmas. It's actually pretty good, despite the weird ingredients.

My dad likes cherry jello salad with juilenne carrots and chopped pecans, which is pretty weird too but also good.

3GCakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #26 of 26

My grandmother used to make a jell-o salad with orange jello, some fruit and marshmallows, and cheddar cheese on it! I didn't like it too much. I forget what she called it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%