Air Bubles In Bc Icing With Butter Only! No Shortening

Baking By soniaho Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm by brincess_b

soniaho Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 14

icon_cool.gif I've read everything everyone has posted on Buttercream with air bubbles in it. The thing is that everyone has been using Sugar Shack's recipe with shortening or something similar to it. We don't have shortening here (I live in Greece) so I only use butter. I never had a problem with air bubbles until now that I bought myself my first KA! I really like how it is soooo much easier, but how do I use it so that I don't get bubbles again. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO MY ELECTRIC MIXER.

BTW, with my electric mixer I would beat it till kingdom come and it would come out soooo smooth and bubble free. Any clues?

13 replies
LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 14

Use a slower speed, don't use the whisk attachment, rather the paddle attachment. Don't overbeat.

Sometimes all the best ways to prevent can be use and it still happens. I just stir it gently with a spatula. Or use it with the bubbles, put a lot of frosting on the cake and then smooth with a scraper and hot knife technique.

soniaho Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:31am
post #3 of 14

I have tried it on low speed and just mixing with the paddle, but it doesn't come out as smooth as when I beat it for a longer period. Yes, there are no bubbles but not as smooth. Didn't realize I would have this problem with the KA.

brincess_b Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:32am
post #4 of 14

why dont you try just beating it longer?
however, many people find that for a stand mixer, it helps to have the buttercream coming up to the top of whatever blade you use, so that it is only the bc being mixed, and more air isnt being added in.
as LindaF144 says the best thing to do after to try and get rid of the bubbles is use a spatula.
xx

soniaho Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:40am
post #5 of 14

What do you mean by the BC coming to the top? Do you mean large batch? The other day I also tried beating it for about 10 minutes on 2 and it was so smooth and fluffy but many air bubbles. The stirring of the spatula makes sense. Lets see if it works. I have to frost the cake today.

brincess_b Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:08am
post #6 of 14

it probably will take a larger batch of bc to cover the mixing blade. it means it cant pull in any more air.
xx

soniaho Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks. I'll try it and let you know how it comes out.

soniaho Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:18am
post #8 of 14

Well, finished the cake. Stirred the frosting with a spatula but bubbles remained in place. Beat the other frosting forever in my KA and the frosting curdled somewhat. Could it be that I may have to go back to my electric beater? This really sucks. Help!

brincess_b Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:10am
post #9 of 14

it is very unusual for bc to look curdled! what recipe do you actually use? most people use their ka to do butter cream, so it might be the recipe needs tweaked.
did you fill to the top of the beater?
did you try smoothing with the hot knife as well? cause it melts the surface slightly, which helps cover any bubbles.
xx

soniaho Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 14

I use butter only since there is no shortening here and a couple of tbsps of heavy cream. No, I didn't fill it up to the top. That's my next move. And yes, the hot spatula did help the smoothing but not all the way. There were still bubbles. I'll post a pic up. I hoe it goes through.

soniaho Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 12:49pm
post #11 of 14
brincess_b Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 14

so is it just icing sugar, butter and cream? possibly your butter has been too warm, can make the bc look slightly curdled.
cake looks great! obviously not so easy to see in a picture compared to reality, but i can only see a couple of the bubbles.
xx

soniaho Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you princess_b! You know, now that you mention it, I did leave the butter out for a long time and I do think it probably was too warm. My BC is butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla and some heavy cream. I have heard that BC with shortening or Crisco is a lot smoother for icing cakes and less bubbles. What do you use in Scotland and do you have any problems with bubbles? Thank you.

brincess_b Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 14

i use butter or crisco (trex here), cant say ive really noticed any difference between the two, not in terms of bubbles anyway. really the only benefit of crisco is that it can withstand warmer temperatures.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%