Good Day, Bad Day..

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 7:37pm by TexasSugar

Lcubed82 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 12

One of four shocolate mixes was the wrong flavor. Found a NordicWare 9" round "commercial" pan at Walmart- don't have to drive 2hr RT to cake store for pan! Forgot to get shortening at grocery store- Walmart generic has now REMOVED the transfat! ugh!

As the 3% transfat shortening is getting harder and harder to find, and no one carries High Ratio locally (I am just a hobbiest- usually shopping at the last minute!), how can I "fatten up" the 0% TR shortenings?

TIA!

11 replies
ncsmorris Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry that I can't answer your question, but I've seen several postings about people looking for shortening with transfat or using High Ratio and I don't understand why. I just use whatever shortening and I don't have any issues (that I know of yet). What is different by using the kind with transfats in it??

TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 12

I use the no trans fat Crisco all the time with out any problems. Have you tried it or have you heard you shouldn't and have just shopped for the trans fat stuff?

mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 12

I read on a post the other day (sorry, can't remember who said it) that you can use whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2 to "fatten up" the buttercream if you can't find trans fat shortening. I use 1/2 and 1/2 all the time, even with trans fat shortening with my Indydebi's Buttercream and it is fabulous. It makes it so much creamier. Since I use it all the time, I can't tell you if it makes a big difference or not, since that is how I have always done it.

all4cake Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 12

Butter, milk, whipping cream, sour cream, cream cheese...have 0% trans fats.

I've found that with the 0 trans fat shortening I no longer beat the heck out of it to get it creamy, smooth. When I did, it became grainy and separated looking.

Lcubed82 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 12

I have not tried the 0% tr. Just have read so much about it not working as well. I think I have a can in the pantry- may give that a try before heading out again!

LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

One of four shocolate mixes was the wrong flavor. Found a NordicWare 9" round "commercial" pan at Walmart- don't have to drive 2hr RT to cake store for pan! Forgot to get shortening at grocery store- Walmart generic has now REMOVED the transfat! ugh!

As the 3% transfat shortening is getting harder and harder to find, and no one carries High Ratio locally (I am just a hobbiest- usually shopping at the last minute!), how can I "fatten up" the 0% TR shortenings?

TIA!

If you are using this for BC icing, then you can use Indydeb's recipe. She adds Ready Whip powder which has transfat in it.

I am not a fan of trans fat and have recently discovered that too much of it can be a problem for the digestive system (too many days of taste testing in the bakery I work at), so I will be shunning it all together. I don't even use Crisco for baking any more, but rather Spectrum. I too don't understand how trans fat helps in baking vs other fats. I still cannot find any thing definitive on this when doing research. Hi-ratio shortening is not unique because of it's trans fat, but rather because of the emulsifiers added. Now if the emulsifiers are found in trans fat in hi-ratio shortening, then that could be the key. But again I have not found anything written that states this.

I also don't understand the beating non trans fat shortening to separate thing. When I made Indydeb's recipe using Crisco, I let it beat for 10 minutes. It came out silky super smooth and was a huge hit when my DH took the cake to work. I also made icing using Spectrum and the Whimsical Bakehouse house recipe. It was silky soft and like air. But they highly recommend hi-ratio shortening because of it's ability to absorb more liquid, due to the emulsifiers. I believe that if you use any other shortening with this recipe you need to reduce the amount of water. But I have not experimented with this yet.

CakeDiva101 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 12

Attention!!! Attention!!!

For all of you that have a Winn Dixie grocery store near you...100% vegetable shortening ( Winn Dixie brand) has 2.5g Trans fat!
Here are the nutritional facts per Tbsp:

Calories: a lot ( really this stuff is not fat free)!!!
Total fat: 13g
Saturated fat: 3g
Trans fat: 2.5g
Polyunsaturated fat: 3G
Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
O Carbs!!!!!! yah!!!!!!!

Happy caking!! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

I have not tried the 0% tr. Just have read so much about it not working as well. I think I have a can in the pantry- may give that a try before heading out again!

Try it and see.

So many people have read oh no don't use Crisco because it's trans fat free, but yet there are many, many people that have continued to use it with out any issues.

Lcubed82 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 12

I have been using Sharon Z's recipe, and it does very well for me. Has anyone tried this w/o TF? I may have some Dream Whip, so may try Debi's. I used it a couple of times before, but it seemed to be grainy and full of little bubbles for me.

LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 12

What I have found with Indydeb's recipe and I believe I read this elsewhere, is there is a point where too much powdered sugar makes it grainy. I noticed this because I usually add the sugar a cup at a time just so I won't get the PS bomb. By the time I got to that last cup it was grainy when I was done adding it. Next time I intend on stopping when I get a good consistency and a nice silky texture. But I also do not use Criso, I use Spectrum. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12

Grainy can come from using beat sugar rather than pure cane sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%