Business Help (Non-Cake/food Related)

Lounge By cadgurl07 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 8:08pm by -K8memphis

cadgurl07 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 8

I need help finding out how to start a home business. I want to do diaper cakes but some people I talk to say I only need a federal tax ID and others say I need to register a name and do a TON more stuff. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start or step by step process. Anything will be very much appreciated.

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 8

SCORE is the service core of retired executives organization that helps people start businesses. There are chapters all over the country.

How much volume are you going to be doing?

Who are you marketing to?

This a seasonal business venture?

You gonna have a permanent retail location?

cadgurl07 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you! I never heard of SCORE before.
I really don't know what my volume is going to look like. There's nothing near us (30mins to the nearest walmart and 15-20mins to nearet grocery store) so I'm hoping a steady one at least. It won't be seasonal and no retail space as of now. Orders only as I'm not in a location that would be easy to access for any pick up or walk in's.
I'm going to check out the score's site now...thanks again!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 8

If it was me, here in Tennessee, I'd get me a state tax number so I could pay sales tax. I think that you might need a Federal Tax ID (a fein) to get the state number or use your social security number.

I mean you're not gonna have employees, are you.

I'd get a business license which is a yearly expense paid locally if need be. And I'd just go for it. I'd do sole proprietor and claim it on my personal income taxes. No sense in incorporating for diaper cakes.

Also--go poking around on your state's website--I betcha there's a pathway laid out for small businesses to get started. Lots of states have this--maybe all of them. I'm sure PA would be one to have it.

So there's federal, state and local agencies to satisfy. The feds to pay the income tax, the state to pay sales tax and the local wants the business license fee (tax). That's how it is here--it's a little different and a little the same everywhere.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 8
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 8

And see on that page that one that says PA Open For Business?--the last one in that list to the left there? That's also where you wanna go.

cadgurl07 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome! Thanks again. That's a weath of information right there for me.
I was on the PA Open For Business website before and it seemed sort of vague to cover many businesses that may or may not be from home and it seemed like I would have to do ALOT more than what I thought. You broke it down perfectly. I'll have to make my way down to the local borough's office real soon. I think they call it a Business Service Tax...or something like that. So excited! Thank you so much for the information. icon_biggrin.gif

oh and yes you are employees. Only me and my cats<--the reason I don't have a bakery for real cakes. But I love 'em.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 8

<high five>

Quote by @%username% on %date%