Cake Dummie Questions.

Decorating By winny01 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm by winny01

winny01 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a 3 tier cake. The bottom tier is a 10 inch styrofoam cake dummie, then I am going to have a 8 and 6 in round on top of the dummie cake which I will support with dowels. My question is. Do I need to cover the dummie cake with either saran wrap or clear contact paper before I ice it or can I just put the buttercream on the styrofoam? Also, do I need to dowel the dummie cake or can I put the two tier real cakes directly on top of dummie cakes? Thanks so much for your help.

3 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 4

Personally, I cover my dummies with saran wrap, but I have read of others that don't. They just wash theirs after using it like that. I like the ease of peeling off the wrap and maybe wiping up a couple spots that got buttercream on it in the disassembling process as opposed to cleaning the whole thing.
You do not have to dowel your dummy. They are strong enough to hold your top layers. icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 4

i've covered my duumies both ways. If you use seran wrap just make sure that you pop any bubbles that may occure, or they WILL show up in your icing.

winny01 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks. I am gonna try it with the saran wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%