Need Some Advice

Baking By teddy0826 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 6:17pm by playingwithsugar

teddy0826 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:05am
post #1 of 7

I just got licensed by my state. I make cookies for several coffee shops in my area but not making enough money this way. I was wondering about building a web-site and making cookies over the internet. If you have a good product does this really work? Will you get orders? This is all new for me so I may sound stupid about this but I need to make some cash. The cookies I make are costom made suger cookies by the way. I need some ideas.
Thanks Everyone

6 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:42am
post #2 of 7

I do mostly cakes, some cookies and I have a website and also indicate that I will ship cookies. However, to be honest, all my orders come local because once people hear the shipping charges, they go elsewhere. Unless you are offering something unique that people can't get local, it may not generate enough business.

snowshoe1 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 7

Agree with Pattycakes - people don't like shipping charges and shipping cookies does require a lot of packaging. I think there is an article on here that discusses shipping cookies.

That being said, you may want to try to sell your cookies via Etsy or another already established site (you'll still need to make sure you charge enough for packaging, etc...). The only reason I suggest this is the tough part about building a website is getting people to come to it. If you google for cookies you'll find some sites that sell cookies nationally and you can see what type of prices they get for their goods.

Dreme Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 7

I'm also interested in finding out the same information. How do you set something like this up? Are there any laws about selling state to state I would need to know?

pattycakesnj: What shipping method do you use? How do you figure what your charges will be?

snowshoe1: Is etsy more effective than having a site where people can come?

LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy0826

I just got licensed by my state. I make cookies for several coffee shops in my area but not making enough money this way. I was wondering about building a web-site and making cookies over the internet. If you have a good product does this really work? Will you get orders? This is all new for me so I may sound stupid about this but I need to make some cash. The cookies I make are costom made suger cookies by the way. I need some ideas.
Thanks Everyone

You need to contact the people where you got the license and ask them this question. I have a home approved kitchen, but I am very, very limited in where I can sell it and how I can advertise. Basically any internet advertising is a no-no. Although I know of places that are doing and getting away with it. I don't know how, but they are.

I also found out that if I had a display of baked goods at a farmer's market for sale and took one off the tray and put it in a bag for a customer that I am considered a retail bakery and fall under different rules. That is why when you go to farmer's markets in our area and see vendors everything is wrapped separately. I was astounded at the minute detail they go into to distinguish between the different types of vendors in this state.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

Internet selling means crossing state lines and the rules are much different like Linda said.

It's easy to get lost in the minutiae. So drop a lotta bread er agh, cookie crumbs so you can find your way back.

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 7

Start with the Interstate Commerce Commission.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%