Large Cakes

Decorating By harveybw Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm by harveybw

harveybw Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:26am
post #1 of 7

Hi Guys

I'm fairly new to cake making so would really appreciate some advice please.

I've been asked to make a scrabble cake for work which needs to be 18"x18". My question is how do I bake a cake this large?
I have a 9"x9" cake tin and was wondering if it would be ok to make 4 cakes this size and join them together? If so how do I join them together?do I use buttercream between the joins? Thanks in advance for any replies, much appreciated.

6 replies
karencuppycake Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:23am
post #2 of 7

Yup! Joining them together with BC should be fine! Once you ice or cover the cake with fondant no one would notice that you joined 4 cakes together instead of baking a huge one!

Cake_whiz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:35am
post #3 of 7

Joining the cake joints with buttercream would work perfectly.

I don't know if you would be applying fondant or thick ganache to cover your cake but if you cover your cakes in either of those... then, your cake would end up being very secure and those joints would not even be visible. Not to mention, the cake would would taste yummy icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps.

harveybw Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:02am
post #4 of 7

Thankyou so much for the replies, I feel much more confident making this cake now icon_biggrin.gif So 4 9x9 cakes it is then, thanks once again for all your help thumbs_up.gif

karencuppycake Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:42am
post #5 of 7

You're welcome! Hope your cake turns out well!

snocilla Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:15am
post #6 of 7

One more thing. I like to trim a bit of the edge off. I think this helps it stick together a little better. You especially want to do that if your 9x9 pan does not have straight sides.

harveybw Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the great tip Snocilla thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%