Just Saying

Lounge By Babs1964 Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 10:36pm by warchild

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 17

after watching some of the cake shows on t.v. I'm surprised that the one show in particular wears no aprons or hair covering and alot of their employees have hair hanging in their faces! Am I the oly one that thinks that is wrong?
Also after looking at some of their cakes and looking at cakes on this site made by self taught cake decorators (in particular) I have to say alot of the cakes here are way nicer looking!

16 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:03am
post #2 of 17

I have to agree, especially with the hair thing. It drives me crazy to watch them touch their hair then the cake, cupcake, fondant. YUCK!!!!!!!!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:09am
post #3 of 17

icon_surprised.gif ewwwwwwwwww.
I SHUDDER AT THE THOUGHT tapedshut.gif

Bluehue

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:07am
post #4 of 17

icon_surprised.gif And the fingernail polish too thumbsdown.gif

Bluehue Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:22am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

icon_surprised.gif And the fingernail polish too thumbsdown.gif

WHAT....NO GLOVES ?..................... tapedshut.gif

How is all of this allowed -

might it be that the mighty dollar speaks loudly when it comes to tv ratings icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 17

And it's not only nail polish...it's chipped cruddy looking nail polish!

Bluehue Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

And it's not only nail polish...it's chipped cruddy looking nail polish!

irrkkkk - its getting worse tapedshut.gif

Bluehue

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 17

I can't count how many tines I have thought that!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 17

In some cases home cakers have the luxury of time to be able to tweak away almost endlessly at their work. We know a home caker can and usually does spend 300% to 400% or even much more time in a single project than a pro shop.

Clearly the results can go either way but a busy shop with dozens of employees doesn't always get to do the cleanest finest competiton worthy cake every time. Meeting clients expectations and meeting budget and meeting payroll and meeting deadlines written in stone do take a toll.

As far as the nail polish & stuff--yeah one wonders.

mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 17

I never thoguht about the nail polish part. I guess because I never paint mine. But now that you mention it....YUCK!!!!! That makes lint fly aways in your white fondant not so bad. icon_smile.gif lol. Could you imagine, bright red acrylic nailpolish flakes in your fondant????? YUCK!!!!!!!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 17

Totally agree.

I was at a bakery the other day and the kids behind the counter had gloved on but still touched his face, worked the register etc. I was sitting there like...really whats the point

LOL

Bluehue Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I never thoguht about the nail polish part. I guess because I never paint mine. But now that you mention it....YUCK!!!!! That makes lint fly aways in your white fondant not so bad. icon_smile.gif lol. Could you imagine, bright red acrylic nailpolish flakes in your fondant????? YUCK!!!!!!!

Hmmm, a new cake craze - red acryllic spotted cake - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JUST KIDDING icon_wink.gif

Bluehue

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 17

I'm sure glad I wasn't the only one thinking this!! icon_lol.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 17

I know....I like watching H/Kitchen. Drives me crazy to see the guys leaning over stoves with their hairy arms and BEARDS. Ick.

Beard hair. Too close to the "other end" hair.

Nasty! icon_eek.giftapedshut.gif

mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

I know....I like watching H/Kitchen. Drives me crazy to see the guys leaning over stoves with their hairy arms and BEARDS. Ick.

Beard hair. Too close to the "other end" hair.

Nasty! icon_eek.giftapedshut.gif

LOL!!!!!! That is the exact reason I don't let my hubby help me with cakes anymore. I couldn't handle watching him kneed the fondant, I would just stare at him, making sure it didn't touch his arms. icon_evil.gif I made him wear gloves, but they only go up so far!!!! I decided it was less productive than me just doing it myself.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 17

There's one guy on Duff's show that always looks like he just rolled out of bed icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif his hair is askew and he looks like he needs to freshen up. I too hate seeing women's hair dangling over their work...pull it back for Pete's sake!!! Wearing gloves is a must too, in my opinion.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:36pm
post #17 of 17

Its made for TV we're watching. Two, three, four sometimes more assorted cakes are started and finished in less that one hour for our entertainment. No TV station is going to bother showing the *stars* of the show wearing hair nets, gloves & aprons doing the actual mixing, baking, coloring, kneading, molding, shaping, sweating, carving & often time consuming decorating of all those cakes. We'd be watching a full day or more of a single program if they did.

We get the condensed version, the prettier version, the less than an hour, sometimes less than a half hour version, with a few oopsies & joking thrown in to keep us entertained.
Think about it. Whens the last time you watched any cooking program, not just cake programs, that the host or hostess, or world famous chef wore an apron, hairnet and gloves, while they cooked, baked or competed?

That being said. I'm in full agreement on the nail polish. If its being worn on any food program, someone in charge is in error.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%