Just Plain Ashamed!

Decorating By HobbyCaker Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 4:06pm by sweetheart6710

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:24am
post #1 of 11

I decorated one of "those" cakes today, the kind you just want to chunk in the garbage.

I work in a store bakery with no air brush, edible images or fondant work. I do everything in butter cream by hand. Thank goodness for FBCT's.

So today, after decorating 252 regular cupcakes for an event, 12 Jumbo cupcakes, 4- 1/4 sheet cakes, 1- 1/2 sheet cake and a 8"- 2 layer cake for orders, I needed to decorate a 1/4 sheet for our case, OMG, if this wasn't the worse cake I have every decorated in my life. I was sooooo tired, I iced it, threw on some jumbo sprinkes, did the shell border and wrote Happy Birthday (in my very tired handwriting) on it and called it a day. But now I am feeling really ashamed of that cake. I can't post pictures (since it was for the store) but just picture it in your head, U G L Y! I take pride in my work, and this one I am not so proud of.

Does anyone else ever have one of those days, and one of those cakes?

I know someone will buy it, but wow I feel bad. Just needed to get it off my chest with other decorators who might understand.

10 replies
NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 11

I did a castle cake (with the plastic castle pieces) for a little girl's birthday. She wanted it to be a "candy castle". Wow. I hated that cake. However, the little one was thrilled to pieces. So, I can't be too upset. But I did tell her mom that next time, no plastic!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 11

You should take a picture of it and turn yourself in to Cake Wrecks! At least then you can get a laugh out of it. (Besides, I doubt if it's as bad as those monstrosities!) We all have those days. I work in a coffee shop and I know there have been days that I'm pretty sure no espresso ever got into the actual drink. Live, learn and laugh. I do much better now a days, and I'm sure you will too!

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 11

Sometimes, all you CAN do is laugh!

HobbyCaker Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:48am
post #5 of 11

That would be funny, at least I did spell Happy Birthday right.

Usually when I try to go to the cake wrecks site, it freezes up my computer and I have to shut it down and restart it, so haven't been to their site in a while, but did get to see some good ones a couple of times before it froze up.

gsbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsbcakes Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:55am
post #6 of 11

I find that typically customers dont see the cake through your eyes. I have had enough cakes where I picked the flaws out of it, dont like that, this could be better or straigther, etc. etc. etc but other people dont see it. (unless they do cakes). Dont beat yourself up. You had a rough day and what may be UGLY to you may be beautiful to someone else.

My big uh-oh today was that after we frosted and stacked a 3 tier wedding cake, cleaned the kitchen and were heading out the door for the night I realized that the cake sizes were wrong and the cake is short 25 servings as a result. UGH. Luckily this is for a friend and she is very laid back so will just be ok with a sheet cake or cupcakes but again its one of those I am so tired today and I cant believe I did that.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:56am
post #7 of 11

I think that no matter what kind of work we do, we occasionally complete work that is just not up to par. I've felt that way more than once in my corporate job. All you can do if you can't undo it is plan to do a better job the next time you have the chance to (and hope your boss doesn't notice much!!).

Chin up!

HobbyCaker Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 11

Ruth0209- Your signature line is a so close to a saying my little memaw use to say to us kids as we were growing up! I didn't really comprehend it then, but now that I am older it sure makes sense!

Thank you all for your input, thank goodness my boss is a good friend, she will probably laugh with me, not at me over it, and if it doesn't sell, she'll cut it up for the breakroom! HA!

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:17am
post #9 of 11

Don't feel bad! I make so many 'from scratch' cakes, that I now dislike the taste of them. I'll have cake up to my ears, and still go to the store to buy myself one if I'm craving. I can knit-pick like the rest of them, but sometimes us with 'cake eyes' don't even notice because all we want is over-sized sprinkles! Feel better. We all have those days.

ps. Lets me and you pretend I bought that cake, and I LOVED it. Perfect for what I needed icon_smile.gif

HobbyCaker Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:27am
post #10 of 11

sweatheart6710- SOLD! So glad you enjoyed it! See, I knew CC would have me laughing over it in no time!

DH is cracking up, he thinks I am too "Cake Crazy" to begin with and he says some little boy/girl will see it and say, Mommy I want the one with the Giant Sprinkles and think it's the prettiest cake they ever saw! Hee Hee

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 11

And ps.. Your cakes in your profile are amazing. So don't sweat the sucky cake days icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%