Cheetos- How Do I Make Them To Go With Cake Turkey Sandwich

Decorating By mamabutton Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 3:54pm by DianeLM

mamabutton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabutton Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 7

Any suggestions for how to make that horrid orange powdery color that they put on Cheetos snacks? I'm making a "leftover" turkey sandwich for thanksgiving cake and nobody eats potato chips, so I figured Cheetos would be best. Also any tips on getting the right color and texture for fondant turkey slices.

6 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 7

I would try coloring the fondant or gumpaste orange and then use an orange petal dust over it. ive use petal dust over colored fondant before to get a "chalky" look, which might work out for Cheetos

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:55am
post #3 of 7

you can also make a golden cake batter, tint it orange, make a cupcake out of it, then shred it all up, into little cake crumbs, toast it in the oven or let it sit out a few days to dry out and use that as the ouside. Maybe just buttercream some RTK and roll in the orange crumbs? Or even tint white chocolate orange, and coat RTK in the orange colored chocolate and then roll in the crumbs.

LaurensCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurensCreations Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 7

I would use RKT to make the shapes then cover w/ orange fondant or candy melts. Then I would tint powdered sugar neon orange and shake them in a bag..... (I have liquid neon orange food coloring from halloween, don't know if it's available now)...Not sure if you can even tint powdered sugar but that is what I would try. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. icon_biggrin.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 7

or maybe try making some white cake batter- adding less liquid to make thick, color the batter neon orange and piping some curved lines on parchment paper, bake for a few minutes....I've never tried that but it was my first thought. Post a pic when you are done so we can see what you did!! icon_biggrin.gif

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 7

What about making a meringue cookie mix, color it orange, then pipe it into cheeto shapes? It would even have the general consistency of a cheeto. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 7

For the orangey powder, you can color some royal icing orange and spread it on a board or pan. When dry, scrape it up with a spatula or drywall knife. Whatever doesn't come up as dust, you can place inside folded wax paper and roll over it with a rolling pin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%