How To Make Red Buttercream?

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm by G_Cakes

shell62995 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 5

By the time I get close to red the buttercream is funky! How can I make red bc?
TIA, Michele

4 replies
tesh_diggins Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 5

Which brand of colors are you using? If you're using Wilton, then it will take a LOT of it. I prefer the americolor brands (they finally got them at Hobby Lobby), it doesnt take much to make a great red. And the longer you let it sit, the darker red you'll get.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 5

Red is such a challenging color. I've had issues with it changing the consistency of my BC, even when using the gel color. The last time I made it, I added more ps after the fact and that seemed to help a bit. I was thinking that next time, I'd add the color before I add the ps and see if that makes any difference. I've always used Wilton, and that might well be part of my problem!

icer101 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 5

hi, bakery craft has the best red of any brand,Red Red. Of course that is my opinion. I learned this from earlene moore some years ago. Also, chefmaster has wonderful true colors. I,ve used them for 16 yrs. I have a little of all brands. I,ve never had any problem with any wilton colors . hth

G_Cakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

I find Americolor works best for me. It doesnt take much to get a true red color.

Wilton is ok but I find you do have to use quite a bit of it.

I find it also helps if you can tint the icing first perhaps with some pick and then add your red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%