Kitchen Aide Mixers

Decorating By SummerSweets Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm by Scarlets-Cakes

SummerSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SummerSweets Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 5

Hey all! I am wanting to get a kitchen aide mixer (hoping my dh and mom will pull together for Christmas icon_wink.gif ), but I don't know what to get or what to tell them. I've only seen the 4.5 qt. size here. I was also looking at some online that were 5 qt. Is there really much difference in the size when it comes to how much batter, frosting, or fondant it can do? Also do all KA mixers come with the ability to hook attachments like the pasta roller to the front or is that just a certain line. I'm kinda new to baking and don't know much about the mixers... any advice on what to look for in a good mixer? I just bought a new hand mixer and the first batch of bc I tried made it go out on me so I had to return it. I would really like something that will hold up for a while.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 5

I have a Kitchen Aid Artisan and an older bowl-lift model (from the 70's I think). Both have the place to hook attachments, although I've never bought any of the attachments. I use the Artisan all the time, and the older one I bought as a backup (on craigslist for $25). I can make a full recipe of WASC, a double batch of Indy's BC, or a single batch of MMF at one time. I also use it to make bread and sweet rolls. It does well with recipes up to 8 cups of flour, but any more than that and it seems to struggle.

Somebody said in another post that Walmart is going to have a bowl-lift Kitchen Aid for $140 as one of their Black Friday specials. That's a really good deal, as long as you don't mind it being plain white.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 5

I first had a classic Kitchen aid with 4.5 quart bowl. When I upgraded to the Artisan with the 5 quart bowl, I loved how the bowl was bigger. Honestly, I haven't noticed much difference in the power of the machine, if anything, it's not as good as my classic, but I do enjoy the larger bowl.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 5

I have the Professional 600 and I LOVE IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%