How Many Cups Of Icing For 300 Cupcakes?

Baking By joanhobby Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm by cheriej

joanhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanhobby Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 9

I am planning on decorating 300 cupcakes this weekend. I want to pipe the icing on in a swirl using a round tip. I haven't done many cupcakes before and am having a hard time figuring out how much buttercream I should have on hand. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 9

how big of a round tip are you planning on using? The larger the tip the more icing is used. My recipe makes about 6 cups of icing and i use the largest star tip (think 2B or something like that) and I can get about 3-4 dozen iced this way.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:21am
post #3 of 9

Hey!

Here is a link to icing amounts per cups of batter that you use! HTH

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:52am
post #4 of 9

I use around 50g of icing on a cupcake, when doing a 1M swirl. I think a round tip would use a similar amount. So, 300 cupcakes would be 15kg of icing. In ounces, that would be approx 2oz per cupcake, around 37.5lbs in total. I would do a kilo/couple of pounds extra, just in case. I have no idea how many cups that would be though, sorry.

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:18am
post #5 of 9

I'm looking for the same answer, I need 150 cupcakes and decorate with a big star tip, swirl.. having trouble finding out!

drewbriegio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drewbriegio Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 9

I just found somewhere online where you will use about 5 cups of icing for 24 regular sized cupcakes if you are doing the 1M swirl on top. (Which uses a lot of icing.) Eek!

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 9

How many cups in 1 batch? maybe 5? that's probably not too bad - 1 batch of icing for 2 doz cuppies... just sounds like a lot when you say 5 cups

drewbriegio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drewbriegio Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 9

Yeah, I guess your right. I needed to make whipped chocolate ganache for my cupcakes.....my recipe called for 1 lb chocolate so to make 4 batches of that is going to be 16 bars of chocolate...at $2.50 each! But it is going to be so yummy! icon_smile.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 9

My personal experience has been the round tip uses more frosting than the swirl. I did frost 16 dozen cupcakes with the swirl and I ended up having to make more frosting. I don't measure in cups, I just go by the buttercream recipe I use and how many a double batch will frost. It also depends on how large your cupcakes are (liner sizes vary a lot).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%