Gumpast Not Hardening

Decorating By Cakeworkz Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 9:00pm by Cakeworkz

Cakeworkz Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

HELP!!!!! I have made sugarpaste by adding 2Tbs of tylose to 2lbs of fondant. I left it sit overnight in an airtight container and it got real hard.. ok so then.. i cut some off the block and microwaved it a bit and worked it back to life. The problem is that i made a shoe and after 3 days, the gumpaste wont harden? I tried putting in more tylose the some more gumpaste and make another shoe and it still wont harden like it did in the begining... what am i missing? please help..... icon_sad.gif

7 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 8

I would say that something happened when it was microwaved. Whenever I add tylose to my fondant, I use it right away and have not had a problem with it not hardening.
The first time I ever added tylose to my fondant and left it sit overnight like the directions said, it was a hard ball like yours, so I just threw it out and added more tylose to fondant and used it right away and it was just fine.

Cakeworkz Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 8

Hmmmm???? maybe that is it? i need to use it right away??? but.. what about the ones you buy from retailers? like wilton? you can use abit at a time and reseal the pouch. And i have heard that gumpaste can be made in advance and used when needed. thank you for your input fellow enthusiast. icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 8

youre not really making gumpaste though, its more like modelling paste. i would have thought it would be fine wrapped in clingfilm anyway though, maybe thats what it needs rather than jus tbeing in the box.

Cakeworkz Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 8

princess b, what is your recipe for modeling paste?

brincess_b Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 8

the one i know of (although i dont use as i usualyl have gumpaste on hand and add that to the fondant) is 1tsp CMC (cant remember what it stands for but similar enough i think - it gets confusing!) for 500g fondant. can be used straight away, or else clingfilm and store.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 8

You can use regular gumpaste a little at a time and reseal the package, but when you add tylose to sugarpaste it just goes hard and does not give you a long storage period. I wrapped and sealed it really well when I did it and that did not matter, still dried harder than a rock. I'm not sure of the logistics behind it all but it does have to be used right away.

Cakeworkz Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the info ladies!!! I guess we learn something new every day. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%