Sponge Cake, Pound Cake... Regular Cake??? What To Choose???

Decorating By toni1218 Updated 26 Nov 2010 , 8:04am by cakeastic

toni1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toni1218 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 5

I have been researching to find some great recipes, however have become overwhelmed as to which types of cake to choose! Sponge, pound or regular cake?? I have tried Sylvias Yellow Cake, which was delicious, dense and moist. After reading a lot of posts it seems that a denser cake might be better for stacking, carving, etc. If that would be the case wouldnt a pound cake be the better choice?

I searched the pound cake recipes and found one that was posted that was a doctored cake mix recipe I compared this to the WASC recipe it was almost exact except for the addition of butter in the pound cake recipe. So after seeing this is it wrong to say the WASC is similar to a pound cake?

If you could let me know your thoughts about the different cakes or your favourite type of cake to use for layering / sheet cakes I would appreciate it.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:07am
post #2 of 5

The WASC cake using either Rebecca Sutterby's or kakeladi's Orignal recipes is the perfect texture because it's not too airy or too dense - it's just right. icon_smile.gif

(Can you tell that the WASC cake is my favorite doctored mix recipe.) icon_lol.gif

The doctored cake mix pound cake recipe is not as dense as a scratch pound cake recipe. So the differences between the doctored mix pound cake and the WASC recipes might not be that great.

FYI, most doctored cake mixes are more dense than straight cake mix but not as dense as scratch butter or pound cake recipes.

I'm just a fool for slice of scratch pound cake (preferably made with cake flour for a smaller, and more delicate crumb).

Here are some good scratch pound cake recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-211101-.html

HTH

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #3 of 5

My cake preference really depends on what I'm doing with it. Most of my birthday & wedding cakes are made with "standard" cake, but sponge it a wonderful option if I am using a looser filling, or a soaked cake like tira mi su, tres leches or pink lemonade cake because the dryer txture absorbs the liquids. If I am doing a carved cake I prefer pound cake or other dense recipe.

toni1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toni1218 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your responses! Has any one tried the madeira sponge cake? I took out a book from the library and that is the recipe they gave. Would the madeira be a bit drier than a pound or butter cake? I also read a book that gave a basic sheet cake recipe however she soaked each layer (even the cupcakes made with the same recipe) with a simple sugar syrup - don't think I want to do that!

Thanks icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_eek.gif (extra emoticons from my 4 yr old.. .lol)

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 8:04am
post #5 of 5

Whatever you do dont try the madeira cake.. I had its recipe in one of my cake books and tried it once, It was very dry and tasted horrible. Go with the pound cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%