Need Ideas For A Women's Club Demo

Decorating By Mindy1975 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 10:56pm by costumeczar

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone. I need a few ideas if you have time. I'm supposed to put on a demonstration on "cake decorating" for a local women's club at my church, and I'm not really sure what to do......do you think I should show the basics on cake decorating??? I'm not real thrilled about giving out my buttercream recipe to all these ladies, but i thought I would show them how to do a holly cake using brush embroidery, or something like that. Something for xmas. I could also show them how to smooth buttercream using the Viva trick, but once again, I don't want to give them my buttercream recipe! lol I would appreciate any ideas you guys might have. I think I have to fill like a 45 minute slot. Thanks again.

6 replies
SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 7

I would do simple stuff like borders, drop flowers, writing maybe a simple picture fbct. If you don't want to give your recipie find another one for the demo.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 7

I think your ideas are great--no need to give out your recipe! Definitely demonstrate icing a cake.....people love to watch a pro do this! The Viva method is like magic to most but probably don't spend as much time on smoothing as you usually do, because you will want to keep the demo moving along. Then do the brush embroidery and demonstrate some piped borders---oooohhh aaaahhh!

Will there be a large group? If not, you could bring cupcakes (or mini cupcakes) with a rose on each one. Keep a few undecorated and make the roses as part of your demonstration, then everyone gets to taste your handiwork. They can draw numbers and the lucky winner gets your beautiful cake.

Bring a handout with basic recipes from the Wilton site. Have fun and good luck!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 7

I few years ago I was asked to do a demo at this chocolate contest by a group here. I teach Wilton classes, so for me it was like okay I can show case the classes, but I don't want to 'teach' them what they would learn in the classes, because then why would they come take them, ya know?

Since their theme was chocolate, I decided to do a poured ganache cake and dipped strawberries. I wanted something they could do at home, if they were inclined to with out having to go out and buy a bunch of different things. I iced my cake at home in a crumb coat, and just explained what I did (put a thin layer of icing all over the cake) and why I did it (so that you have smooth even sides) and then actually showed how to do the poured ganache over the cake. Then I took strawberries and dipped them in the ganache and let them sit up while I answered questions, because there is always questions. Then I just placed them on top of the cake. They ohhhed and ahhhed like it was the coolest thing in the world, and I felt like hopefully it is something they could have easily gone home and tried to do.

You could do something simalar, if strawberries aren't looking good you can always use other fruit, like raspberries. Or with it the holidays coming up you can show them they can use premade candies, like cherry cordials to border the cake and add a little something extra.

You can feel comfortable because you aren't giving out any of your 'trade secrets', but yet are sharing something with them that they could actually, probably, maybe do at home, if they were so included.

45 mins sounds like a lot of time, but really it speeds by. I'd assume 15 of that you are going to be answering questions (if you or they allow questions during) so that really only leaves 30 mins. And when you are doing something and explaining it, it does take longer than it would to do it at home.

Keep it simple, keep it very basic, and keep it fun. icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 7

Since it's not really a class/lesson, just demonstrate what you do best or what you like to dofrom start to finish... ice and decorate a cake! This is an opportunity to showcase your skills, so show them off. (I believe the purpose is probably to give them an interest in cake decorating or skills in generalnot necessarily a "hands on" learning experience.) You can explain what you're doing, while you're doing it, and answer questions along the way.

It doesn't sound like you are promoting any products in particular, so if you get questions about your recipesimply state they can use any buttercream recipe... questions about your turntableany turntable will do, etc.

Have fun, keep it basic and simple, give ideas how they can apply the techniques for their own creations at home.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 7

it kind of depends on the ability of the class and how its been marketed. i mean 45 minutes isnt that long, i dont think you could get that far through the intricate how tos of cake covering and let them ask questions.

id maybe do some penguin or angel models, or like you suggest the holly brush embroidery. something they can use on this years cake, whether they make it or buy a plain one.

(i went to a class where we did penguins and angels, it was awesome! and so handy, ive done like three cakes based on what i learnt there)
xx

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 7

I just did a two-hour demo on the basics on fondant, and they had a TOn of questions because of the tv shows they'd seen. People are very interested in fondant these days, so you might want to do something with that. If you only have 45 minutes, though, sticking with decorating a cake might be the best bet.

You don't need to give out your recipe for anything...One lady asked if I would give her a recipe for one of my cakes, and I said "Nope!" They all laughed, so they found it amusing. I did give them the recipe for fondant, since it's not a secret and you can find that online. My cake recipes that I developed myself? Not so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%