Ok Folks I Have A Question....gold Frosting

Decorating By dvergara Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 6:28am by cupadeecakes

dvergara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvergara Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:25am
post #1 of 5

How in the world do you make the color "gold" for frosting???? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif ........................................... I'm going to hate myself if its to easy icon_lol.gif

4 replies
Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:45am
post #2 of 5

Americolor makes gold color but it is basically a flat yellowish color to achieve actual gold you must purchase luster dust to which you add a clear alcohol such as vodka then you paint the detail in question. This is obviously not an option with buttercream but look good on fondant, gum paste & dry royal icing. I personally add the gold food color to what I plan to paint gold the base color make the luster dust look more like actual gold.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:03am
post #3 of 5

Edible lustre spray works well on fondant dont know about buttercream never tried it on that.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:26am
post #4 of 5

I do gold on whipped cream (Pastry Pride) so it should work on buttercream. Color it yellow, then airbrush Gold shimmer onto it. It will be GOLD!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:28am
post #5 of 5

It isn't as pretty as painting royal icing or fondant with luster dust put I have put a jar of ultra gold in some piping gel and used that to pipe with. It worked enough to get the effect. Another solution may be to chill your piped cake, if your buttercream is butter you should be able to paint it with a brush until the icing isn't chilled and put it bake in the cooler. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%