Fondant And Fillings... Ahhhh!!! Help... Please

Decorating By Melsablondy Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 5:15am by metria

Melsablondy Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:56am
post #1 of 3

Hi there everyone. I am new to the cake decorating world. I have been barely getting by as a sculptor/painter and decided to combine my love for baking with my already trained skills and become... a cake decorator!!!.

I have been recording all the cake shows there are on TV and doing as much research online and in books as possible.... and I'm soo confused! I see Buddy (LOL the guy off Cake Boss) make all these wonderful cakes, filled with all these wonderful fillings and fresh fruit, and then he covers it all in fondant.

My question is... I thought you can't refrigerate fondant or gum paste items.... how is he keeping these cakes from not spoiling??? Is the trick to it just decorating the cake hours before "go time" or what???

And I don't know what fondant recipe you all are using, but I am going to share this recipe I'm using... it may be already out there for everyone already, but I wanted to share because the first time I tried to do a fondant covering I bought it ready made from Michael's and it was awful!!! And I didn't really know how to use it.

So, I searched and searched and found a recipe, made it, and it only being the SECOND time ever doing a fondant cake and it was FLAWLESS!!! And it tasted pretty good! Hope it helps someone.

Anyway, if anyone can please help me with this problem. So many of the fillings call for some kind or amount of dairy. What can I use safely as a filling... because I know it will take awhile to finish the decorating and I hope to be able to make the cake the day before... not a couple hours before.

16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet Puffed)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon glycerine
1 ½ tsp. of butter flavor
1 tsp. clear vanilla
1 teaspoon popcorn salt (I grind my own salt in a coffee grinder if you dont, you may get crystallization that leaves your fondant covered cake pock-marked)
Food coloring if using
2 lbs powdered sugar

2 replies
JanH Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:10am
post #2 of 3

That recipe is almost exactly the same as Marshmallow Fondant MacsMoms BC flavored variation:

metria Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:15am
post #3 of 3

don't forget he's a pro and has pro equipment. he has fridges and freezers specifically for the food industry. other pros here can chime in on this, but you can chill fondant covered cakes. it's a matter of controlling humidity. you don't want your cakes coming back to room temp and forming a lot of condensation (i.e. sweating) ... that's what makes for goopy mess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%