Wedding Cake Using 3 Inch Cake Pans

Decorating By Kim_cake Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm by mandirombold

Kim_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_cake Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:32am
post #1 of 5

I was thinking of making my own wedding cake just the tier cake and someone else do my sheet cakes. I was wondering about 3inch high cake pans from wilton. Can you use the 3 in high pans and just make the cake really high like the 3in and just make a tiered cake without filling or torting it? Or do you have to fill it. I have done cakes with the 2in pans and filled them and stack. Have not done 3in. Was just thinking of a simple way to do the cake with half the work and time without having to fill if it would be appropriate.

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:44am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_cake

I was thinking of making my own wedding cake just the tier cake and someone else do my sheet cakes. I was wondering about 3inch high cake pans from wilton. Can you use the 3 in high pans and just make the cake really high like the 3in and just make a tiered cake without filling or torting it? Or do you have to fill it. I have done cakes with the 2in pans and filled them and stack. Have not done 3in. Was just thinking of a simple way to do the cake with half the work and time without having to fill if it would be appropriate.

Hello Kim - and welcome to CC.
Hmmmm, 3 inches of cake is alot of cake in someones mouth without any filling...
For me, i would much prefer to have a filling of some description.
Honestly - for the time it takes to fill a cake - it would be more appealing and look much nicer when cut.
Each to their own of course - just my thoughts.

Bluehue

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 5

Most of the tiered cakes I've seen done with a single 3" cake on each tier look short and squat. My sister's wedding cake was 4" tall with no filling, and most of the guests took a bite or two and tossed the rest...Bluehue is right, a tall slab of cake with no filling isn't that appealing to eat.

If you're having sheet cakes done, why not do your cake with styrofoam dummies? You could work on it way in advance, which would probably cut down on wedding stress. You wouldn't have to worry about dowels and boards either. If you didn't want anyone to know it was a faux cake, you could have them carry it into the kitchen before they start serving the slices of sheet cake, and no one would know the difference.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 5

I tried the 3" pan to cut down on the work. But, at the others stated, it was a lot of cake...too much in fact. I ended up torting and filling anyway icon_smile.gif

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 5

I would order dummies and forget about the 3in cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%