Christmas Ornament Cakes

Decorating By mahal50881 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 11:38am by pattycakesnj

mahal50881 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 3

Does anyone have a tutorial or any tips on how to make Christmas Ornament cakes? Not the cupcake with a half ball on top, I'm talking about the full ball ones covered in fondant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:17am
post #2 of 3

I read on one of the pics of those that she made the half ball ones, leveled the tops and put two together to create the whole ball. Im going to try it this weekend.

pattycakesnj Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:38am
post #3 of 3

If you have the wilton sports ball pan, they work great. Level the bottom slightly so that it sits flat, fill, frost and then cover with fondant. Make the little hanging thing out of fondant/gumpaste, paint gold and put on top, slightly off center so it looks like the ornament is leaning over. I would also put a dowel thru the center.
(What I do is when I make the hanging thing out of gumpaste, I put a shish kabob stick, or other small dowel, into the top of it. When it is dry, I just push the stick, sized for the cake, thru the cake on an angle and the hanging thing is then right where I want it and I have the extra stability I need) HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%