Question About Putting Floral Wire In Cakes

Decorating By nickshalfpint Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 10:55pm by tmgarcia_98

nickshalfpint Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a cake that is going to have stars on floral wire coming out of the cake. I've read A LOT about it and I know NOT to put the wire right in the cake and to put it in a straw or dip it in chocolate. I'm still not sure how to go about doing it. When you put the straw in the cake does it leave a big hole? I'm so lost and feel like a ding dong because I just don't get it. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it............Thanks in advance....Kristen

7 replies
peg818 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 8

It is easiest to just dip the wire in chocolate. But if you want to use a straw, use a coffee stirrer they don't leave a huge hole

nickshalfpint Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you thumbs_up.gif I'm definately gonna dip them in chocolate then! Thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 8

hello, all, what keeps the chocolate on the wire from getting soft and melting away being it pushed in a moist cake layer along with the moist filings. i haven,t done this, so i don,t know . please help me understand. tia

Kandis Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 8

I put the wire into a coffee stirrer, first I took some gum paste and rolled it into a ball then I took the straw an pushed it into the ball of gum paste so that the gum paste went inside the straw then I put the wire inside so it was secure. Worked like a charm and didn't leave very big holes at all! I didn't want to take a chance that chocolate would get soft inside the cake either!

jagvipers Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 8

Okay- I missed something. I have yet to use wire to put a spray of something cute coming out of the cake, but I've wanted to and plan to for a birthday cake in December. Why exactly should you NOT put the wire right in the cake? Also - I'm having a hard time finding wire like I've seen on some of the cakes here - anyone? Thanks!

Kandis Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagvipers

Okay- I missed something. I have yet to use wire to put a spray of something cute coming out of the cake, but I've wanted to and plan to for a birthday cake in December. Why exactly should you NOT put the wire right in the cake? Also - I'm having a hard time finding wire like I've seen on some of the cakes here - anyone? Thanks!

I cover it because I don't think the wire is food safe.

tmgarcia_98 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 8

I haven't tried dipping in chocolate, but I have melted birthday candles and dipped the wire in wax. After all, the candles are made to stick into cake, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%