Wilton Fondant Ribbon Cutter

Decorating By Maydo Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 1:11pm by Bluehue

Maydo Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 15

I just bought a Wilton Fondant Ribbon Cutter with my weekly coupon but when I got it home and looked at it, well, it doesn't look "sharp". Than I read reviews on Amazon and became skeptical.
Questions:
DO you have one ?
Keep or return?
If I return it, what should I get instead?

14 replies
NerdyGirl Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 15

I have one. Never had a problem with it, as long as I put the right amount of pressure on it (and don't tighten the wing nut too much!). I also use a pizza cutter.

metria Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 15

i hate mine icon_sad.gif it doesn't seem to cut, just smoosh lines.

MissBlu Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 15

I like mine alot! Make sure the wing nut isn't too tight and use even pressure. other wise you just get indentations. It a time saver.

artscallion Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 15

Return it. I tossed mine a long time ago. Half the time the wheels roll and half the time they don't, no matter how I adjust the pressure or the wingnut. I just use a knife and one of those metal yardsticks, or I'll just use my bench scraper. In my opinion, it overcomplicates a very simple process.

sweetcakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 15

it will work if you cut on a hard surface like your counter and not the mat. Also the wing nut will either tighten as your roll or loosen itsself as you roll depending on which side you have it. Just remember to tighten it if its on the side that makes it loose. i thought using 2 washers would help but it doesn't, this is the only draw back on it.

Davwattie Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 15

My sister bought one and said it's rubbish and not like the one she'd borrowed off someone at college.

I bought the FMM ribbon cutter which is alot cheaper and works really well.

It's also the one my sister wanted icon_lol.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 15

I have one, it's not a super clean cut and the wing nut is either too loose or too tight. It loosens as I "cut" and never fails falls off when I need it most. Just use a pizza wheel. The cut is "cleaner".

Corrie76 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 15

I hated mine, what a waste of money for me....the flaw in the design is that the "far" end of the roller arm doesn't get enough pressure....return it!
BTW, another reason why I secretly hate Wilton brand (and yet have to use their products 'cause they have the cake supply market cornered in some areas)

tiggy2 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:34am
post #10 of 15

Return it and get the FMM ribbon cutter.

sabre Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:51am
post #11 of 15

Ateco makes a 5 wheel adjustable pastry cutter. I have an Oxo herb mincer that I use for narrow ribbons. You can find both on Amazon (free shipping included).

CakesbyCarla Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:14am
post #12 of 15

Can someone PM me what the FMM is? I'd like to check that out. I've never gotten my wilton cutter to work...

Cake_whiz Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #13 of 15

I got it in my third wilton course set and i really did not like it. It would only cut ribbons when my fondant was rolled very thin and even then, the edges did not look smooth.
A good quality pizza cutter works much better for cutting ribbons.

Bluehue Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:11pm
post #15 of 15

Good grief - i think its great..

Roll my medium out -
allow it to firm for 5 minutes -
Apply a tad of pressure - and voula - perfectly sharp lines.

Problem is - many try to use it on a mat - which means when you apply pressure - the mat gives underneath...
also
many don't let their rolled fondant firm up for a few minutes.

Perhaps some have their rolled out fondant to thick - *shrugs*

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%