Covering A 'ball' Shaped Rkt W/mmf???

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 10:29pm by -K8memphis

hobbymommy Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 8

Are there any good tips on covering a RKT ball with MMF? I'm trying to 'attempt' a princess carriage.

Thanks in advance,

7 replies
pag41989 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 8

I covered a RKT pumpkin in fondant. I did nothing different than I would covering a cake, I just layed it over the RKT and trimmed away the excess. I didn't bother adding anything to help the fondant stick because the RKT was sticky enough by itself. Hope that helped! icon_biggrin.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 8

I've been told you can melt white chocolate over top to give it a smooth finish before putting on the fondant.

I have covererd RKT in fondant before - it looked very bumpy - so I covered it in icing - then put fondant over top! icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 8

the barn on my barnyard cake is RKT covered in MMF. So is the baseball hat on one of the cakes. I mush the RKT in my hands to make them a little finer then add the marshmallow. Then I ice it with buttercream to make it smoother and make the fondant a little thicker.

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 8
Crazboutcakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 8

I have used RKT on a few of my cakes and the donkey in my pics is all RKT and the way that I covered it was to mold it to what ever shape than I used BC to cover which gave me a way to smooth the fondant on top, it also has to be a little thicker so it doesn't break and it worked like a charm and I was able to get more definition too! Hope this helps.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 8

There is a thread on here that explains how to do it. You use a rectangle piece of fondant and wrap it around it it, and then push the edges toward the exposed part. Make any sense? Sorry, I would recommend looking for that thread! It has pictures. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 8

If this might be a help to you--you can use a zester to shave off the nubblies on the rkt so the fondant can be all nice & smoothy smooth without additional icing between them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%