Fondant - Please Help

Baking By LondonLass Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 11:06pm by what_a_cake

LondonLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LondonLass Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 5

I have my first cake to do for my Grandmas 80th.
Its due next Saturday and I have practiced many fondant recipes, they are either too sticky and don't come up from a cold marble slab or become too dry.
Does anyone have a fool proof recipe?! Also I am from London and in England we don't have things like powdered sugar - what type of sugar is that anyway?!

Any help will be greeeeeatly appreciated.

Thanks
x

4 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

Powered sugar I believe in the UK is called icing sugar. Your best recipe here is is either Michelle's fondant recipe or or marshmallow fondant. Since you are new working with fondant I would suggest sticking with marshmallow fondant.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 5

Powder sugar is confectioner's sugar.

I make the Marshmallow fondant. I dont even use the recipe anymore just kind of go by trying to get the right consitancy.
I use one bag of miniture marshmallows (10.5 oz) Put in microwavable bowl and add two tablespoons of water. Microwave for a minute and stir. Add more time if they are not melted. Then grease your counter or your marble slab and your hands with vegitable shortening. The more shortening the better. Then pour the confectioners sugar out and add the melted marshmallow. Knead the surgar in, add more sugar, knead, add sugar. You will probably need about a pound to a pound and a half of sugar. Once you get the fondant to the right consitancy, non sticky and stretchy. knead in a little more shortening. Wrap with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.

I use corn starch on the counter as I roll it out. I found that it works better for me than the confectioners sugar. Make sure as you roll the fondant out that you move it around and that there is enough cornstarch under it to keep it from sticking. If it sticks just scape it off roll in ball and start over.

I hope this helps you.

heres a link to a website I used: http://abingdon-tech.com/ams/bcombs/page5.htm

loux2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loux2 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 5

Hi.
I'm also from the uk so might be able to give you some pointers.
Powered sugar is icing sugar and as for the fondant you can buy that in any supermarket for around £2.50 - £3.00 per kg (probably cheaper than making it). I would recommend buying either the silverspoon or Dr oetker brands as the shops own ones always tend to stick and have a very sickly sweet taste. ohh and the ready rolled stuff has a very artificial taste as well. hope this helps.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonLass

I have my first cake to do for my Grandmas 80th.
Its due next Saturday and I have practiced many fondant recipes, they are either too sticky and don't come up from a cold marble slab or become too dry.
Does anyone have a fool proof recipe?! Also I am from London and in England we don't have things like powdered sugar - what type of sugar is that anyway?!

Any help will be greeeeeatly appreciated.

Thanks
x

MAYBE YOU WANT TO TRYING BUYING AN EXCELLENT FONDANT MADE IN SWITZERLAND: MASSA TICINO BY CARMA. IS QUITE EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH EVERY CENT

http://www.carma.ch/cms_files/N-1316-Bestand.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%