How Do I... Make A Cake Board Foodsafe If...

Decorating By crazycupcake Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 3:28am by sillywabbitz

crazycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycupcake Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 11

How do I foodsafe my boards if I used fabric er paper or other matierial to cover it?

10 replies
Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 11

Your cake should already be sitting on a cardboard round before you put it on a baseboard or cake drum anyway, so what part of the cake are you worried about touching something?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 11

I've heard of some people using press n seal to cover paper or fabric. Also as posted before me, you can always use another board under the cake, say the exact size of the cake & then put that on a decorated board. Good Luck!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:53am
post #4 of 11

I use fabric on cake boards. I cover that with clear contact paper. Then I put a cake board on top of that using double sided tape. The cake goes on the cardboard, not on the contact paper.

Hammonds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hammonds Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I use fabric on cake boards. I cover that with clear contact paper. Then I put a cake board on top of that using double sided tape. The cake goes on the cardboard, not on the contact paper.

poohsmomma is the contact paper not food safe? If not, can you place wax paper under your cake so that it's between your cake and the contact paper?

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 11

poohsmomma
how do you attach fabric to cake board? Does the glue soak thru? icon_redface.gif
Sorry, I know its a dumb questions. i am having a hard time picturing how to do this. It sounds like a cool idea too.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 11

I use press and seal over scrapbook paper. I cover the paper first in it's square form, then cut out the shape I need.

You could do that with the contact paper over fabric as well.

Would a glue stick work for fabric if you "buttered" the drum with it and then turned it glue side down onto your stretched out fabric (contact paper side down?)

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 11

Sorry, I haven't posted again, but I'm just not seeing the answered posts like I used to before the site meltdown:

Anyway, Hammonds, I emailed the ConTact paper company and they said their product was food safe. However, others here on CC have said there are some plastic-type chemicals in the contact paper that should not come in contact with food products. So, I just cover my bases and use a cake board. I don't know that wax paper would be stable enough to hold the cake and not wrinkle or slide around.

Debcent, I use a spray glue for the fabric covered boards. It's made by Elmer's, I believe. I spray the board, lay out the fabric and rub it, pulling it taut, then I tape the edge on the bottom side.

Here is a link to a pic of one of the cloth-covered boards. It's the second cake down with the cowboy boots on top.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/

Hammonds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hammonds Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 11

This is probably a dumb question but how do you get the cake board of your bottom tier to stay attached to your covered board so that it won't slide around? Also do you add your bottom tier's border before or after you put it on the covered board? I guess I'm just not understanding. Please help!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:00am
post #10 of 11

I have used Press & Seal and Contact Paper and both leave a cloudy look- is there any way around that? TIA

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:28am
post #11 of 11

I use the celo wrap from michael's that says FDA approved to cover my wrapped cake boards. It's very clear, food safe but a bit hard to handle. It comes on a large roll by tge basket wrapping stuff. I don't like the idea of just the cardboard between the cake and the non food safe board cover for several reasons. Grease stains for one and my borders come in contact directly with the board normally. Also I really like to cover the board in fondant because then there are no worriesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%