Cake Rings, Do You Use Any?

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 12:43am by makenice99

makenice99 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

Ok I watch too much cake t.v. I am an addict. icon_lol.gif But I see cake rings used a lot and I was wondering. Are you all using them too? What's the scoop? Is it worth the money?

http://www.bakedeco.com/a/cake-ring-stainless--72.htm

8 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

I have this one, and I've used it to bake cakes and also assemble them.

http://www.pastrychef.com/ADJUSTABLE-CAKE-RING_p_1185.html

makenice99 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 9

To bake cakes? How do you do that? On T.V its being used to assemble and the cake look so perfect I was thinking of trying the 10" my favorite size. But to bake....wow...it would take up less space in my small little kitcen.

chrisviz Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 9

Arent the rings used for smooth buttercream?

nancyg Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 9

I have used these did not have good luck. they seemed to cut the outer edge of my cakes. Even had some of the edges collapse.....

I use stress free support rings. Lay flat on the top with 4 legs into the cake....Love them

elliegails Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 9

I have also wondered about the rings, but have never used them. I also thought they were used to get a smooth finish...not sure. I have the stress free cake supports but wonder if it would be better to get a system with a post through the center of all layers - so the layers cannot shift on hills/quick stops.

imagenthatnj Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 9

makenice99, you take a sturdy flat baking sheet, put the ring on it, line it with parchment paper (make sure it's well lined) and bake.

chrisviz, I thought about that once, to smooth the sides of cakes, but I haven't tried it. Chefs usually line the ring with acetate, then assemble those pretty dessert cakes.

If you're interested, go to
pastryna.com

There are lots of back issues there that you can download. Lots of techniques.

Navyempress Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 9

I don't use them myself, but in pastry school we used them to assemble cakes that had mousse fillings. We would layer cake, mousse, buttercream, ganache, etc. and freeze. Then you take it out and use a torch to warm the sides just enough to unmold it and voila!

makenice99 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:43am
post #9 of 9

Thank you guys. That is a great website imagenthatnj , gonna check it out once I get home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%