How Do I Make Marshmellow Fondant Red?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 3:25pm by AngelFood4

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 10

I've tried making ready-made fondant red and in most cases haven't been successful - takes way too much gel color to really get 5lbs of fondant read and even with the no taste wilton color it starts to taste funny... wondering if any has successfully made red marshmellow fondant and if was 'easier' to color rather than the ready made stuff? and how much gel color it took for a single batch of mmf?

or is it just better to stick to buying premade red fondant?

9 replies
GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 10

You can add the coloring to the melted marshmallow mixture BEFORE you add the powedered sugar. That's how I do my black, and it comes out perfect.

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 10

I made a small batch for accent pieces this weekend using Americolor Super Red. I added the color right after melting the marshmallows so I could stir it in rather than knead it later, and it turned out great without too much effort. (I did need to add a lot more powdered sugar than usual though because the extra color made it more sticky) I would probably just buy it premade if I needed a lot of it though

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 10

I'd need enough to cover a 10" round by 4" high cake... and only color i have is Wilton Gels... so I guess I'll have to give it a try and see if it works! THANKS!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 10

Make it pink first by stirring it into the melted marshmallows, then add Wilton No Taste Red. You'll use less red that way!

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 10

Red is bitter. As a rule of thumb, I usually color whatever first with orange and then red. That makes it easier and less bitter. And don't forget to cover it because the light changes it. This doesn't matter if you are going to use it right away but if not, cover the plastic bag with a towel and hide it in the deepest recess in the basement, where you are sure the sun doesn't shine! icon_wink.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 10
Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 10

See if you can find pink marshmallows. . . around where I live, they sell strawberry ones. It would be easier to get to red if your base is pink.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 10

I went to the sugarsweetcakesandtreats link. I used her recipe and got the perfect shade of using the candy melts.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncgirl00

I went to the sugarsweetcakesandtreats link. I used her recipe and got the perfect shade of using the candy melts.

icon_biggrin.gif glad to hear it thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%