Can I Make My Buttercream Accents Today?

Decorating By jennifer22780 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm by asaye

jennifer22780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer22780 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 11

can i make today, for a cake im doing saturday morning? and what is the best way to store until then?
ive read conflicting things on the net, so i was looking for some of your ideas!

also, can you freeze cake with a crumb coat on it already? how about pudding filling in it?

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 11

What areyou trying to make?

jennifer22780 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What areyou trying to make?

i will be making a (practice) tiered cake at a tall cake class saturday morning at 930. im going to use some drop flowers and roses all out of buttercream. i was trying to prep myself as much ahead of time as possible since i wont have much prep time the morning of. worst case scenerio, ill just freeze the cakes without being iced and filled and then just do those steps sat morning. im not using fondant, just all buttercream

TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 11

Okay so you want to knwo if you can do the drop flowers and roses ahead of time? Yep, you totally can. Just do them and let them sit out in the air to dry out.

For the cake, you can bake tonight, let it cool and wrap it up. Fill and crumb coat tomorrow night. And then ice on Friday.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer22780

im going to use some drop flowers and roses all out of buttercream.

I always make my BC roses ahead of time and let them air dry. If they're dried in advance, they can be placed where you want them (including the sides of cakes rather than just on flat surfaces) instead of keeping them where they may fall!

If you'd like to place the drop flowers where you'd like, I'd suggest making them with royal icing because they'll be fairly fragile made with BC and you might smash them since they're so much thinner than roses. They might also be difficult to remove from your waxed paper or parchment without damage.

You could pipe the drop flowers directly on the cake as you decorate if you choose not to make them in advance.

jennifer22780 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:

im going to use some drop flowers and roses all out of buttercream.

I always make my BC roses ahead of time and let them air dry. If they're dried in advance, they can be placed where you want them (including the sides of cakes rather than just on flat surfaces) instead of keeping them where they may fall!

If you'd like to place the drop flowers where you'd like, I'd suggest making them with royal icing because they'll be fairly fragile made with BC and you might smash them since they're so much thinner than roses. They might also be difficult to remove from your waxed paper or parchment without damage.

You could pipe the drop flowers directly on the cake as you decorate if you choose not to make them in advance.

ive never used royal icing.... is it easy to make/work with?

TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 11

I've made plenty of drop flowers out of buttercream. Once dry all you have to do is move the wax paper and they pop right off. I'd do them tonight though, so they have plenty of time to dry out.

Unlimited Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:

ive never used royal icing.... is it easy to make/work with?

Easy to makenot so easy to work with unless it's stiff enough to hold the shape. Not very tastyI wouldn't want to eat them and wouldn't like to break a tooth trying! Kids love 'em though.

Ryete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ryete Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 11

How long does it take to dry buttercream flowers? Is it sped up in the fridge or freezer? Thought I was being smart and making them ahead...now not so sure?? Help Thanks

Unlimited Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryete

How long does it take to dry buttercream flowers? Is it sped up in the fridge or freezer? Thought I was being smart and making them ahead...now not so sure?? Help Thanks

Depending on your BC recipe, roses can take anywhere from a day or three to dry, or even up to a week. If you freeze them, they'll temporarily be hard--but they won't be air-dry hard and will quickly return to the same soft and heavy consistency as when you put them in the freezer... not very easy to handle.

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 11

I always put mine in the freezer until I'm ready to put them on the cake. But it wouldn't work for you if you have to transport everything before putting them on the cake. Like Unlimited said, they go soft pretty quick once you take them out of the freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%