How Do I Get That Lace-Y Look?

Decorating By jennifer22780 Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm by CWR41

jennifer22780 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 7

i'm new to a lot of these techniques, and definitely a beginner compared to everyone, so i am hoping someone can tell me what the technique is called when it looks like lace on a cake--- like little squiggly lines. ive seen it mainly on wedding type cakes.

is it (or can it) be done with buttercream? or is it something different? i have ZERO experience/knowledge with royal icing.... i have a little experience with fondant, but know nothing abotu royal... and im thinking maybe thats what it is?

and, next question, does anyone know if there is a youtube video tutorial out there to show me how its done?

i appreciate any help!

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 7

It's called cornelli lace or sotos. You can use buttercream. Don't know abut you tube but probably.

ddaigle Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 7

If you are talking about the cornelli lace technique, here is a link on how to do it:

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

Don't know if there is a video, but the wilton practice board set has a corneli lace practice sample.

jennifer22780 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 7


-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 7

Jennifer--real cornelli lace that doesn't touch the other lines and has no right angles etc. makes me tired. icon_biggrin.gif

I just get a real small tip (I clip a parchment bag but you could use a small small tip) and I get a looser icing and I just let 'er rip and it scrolls and twirls and furls --it's one of my favorite things to make. Then I found out that they call that sotos. I just thought it was just cornelli run amuck. I just din like having to think about it while I piped.

CWR41 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 7

If you're searching for examples, it's called Sotas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%