Pillow Cake Help!

Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm by amyoungbl00d5

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 3

I need some help I am doing a pillow cake for the 1st time. So the cake is going to have a lemon curd filling. I watched a video of the Wilton lady doing the cake. She ices the whole cake..but when so goes to fondant the cake she only had half a cake. So my question is..do I frost the bottom half, fill,top and frost with top. then fondant and flip cake and fondant the other side? Or Do I frost and cover the bottom side with fondant then fill top with the top frost and cover with fondant? I really could use confirmation...worried about all this flipping with lemon curd filling...don't want it to shift!

2nd question....I am putting a gumpaste crown on top should I put a support for the crown? is it too heavy for a sponge cake? or can I just attach it..by the way the cake needs to be delivered the night before the party.

2 replies
TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 3

I think the way the Wilton lady did it was to fondant each layer by itself, then put the filling in and attach the two. With your filling, that is probably the way I would do it. I prefer to use buttercream to fill, freeze then do the flip method, but I guess then you would have to talk them into using buttercream. icon_smile.gif HTH

Good luck!

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks I guess all I can do is try and figure out what works! I appreciate the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%