Black Fondant

Decorating By Katyscc Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 12:50am by Bluehue

Katyscc Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 8

I am covering a birthday cake with black fondant for the first time. I heard that it is difficult to work with. Do you have any tips to make it easier? I have never covered a cake with black just decorated using it. The brand I bought is Satin Ice.

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 8

I never had to add anything to my black SI fondant. It does seem kinda moist. I mean you have to be careful but it seemed like if the blob of fondant got exposed to air it would be less moist and I could handle it. But I mean you don't want it dry either--but that's my tip that works for me. Let it air dry a bit. A careful bit.

terrylee Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 8

Yeh...it does seem a bit moister than regular fondant... I use pam reg spray to put a thin coat on my counter to work the fondant and to roll....you don't have the white streeks from p.sugar. it is a bit tricky to work with, but go slow don't roll to thin and you should be fine. please post a picture.....

Bluehue Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I never had to add anything to my black SI fondant. It does seem kinda moist. I mean you have to be careful but it seemed like if the blob of fondant got exposed to air it would be less moist and I could handle it. But I mean you don't want it dry either--but that's my tip that works for me. Let it air dry a bit. A careful bit.

What K8 said ^^^

ohhh and if you use a silicon mat and silicon rolling pin you won't ever have to use PS or anything else to roll any fondant out... whether black - red or white.
That way you won't ever get little powdery/crisco marks on your coloured fondants.... thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

Karenelli Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 8

I am going to be working with black fondant this weekend and will be applying white fondant decorations on top of it. Will the black bleed into the white?

terrylee Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 8

It does tend to bleed... be careful when you attach your decorations. Don't use to much moisture (glue) to attach the white decorations. Don't recommend moving any once they are applied.

Katyscc Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the tips! icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:50am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenelli

I am going to be working with black fondant this weekend and will be applying white fondant decorations on top of it. Will the black bleed into the white?

Best tip...
Allow your black to firm up a bit - then apply your white decorations.
I gave my black cake about an hour - before i added the white.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1862736

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%