Painting The Roses Red... Or Whatever Color You Need!

Decorating By SSGirly Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 4:10pm by cheatize

SSGirly Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 13

I've seen people who make all of their flowers with white gp or fondant ahead of time, and then paints them individually based on what colors they need for the cake they are doing. I'm just wondering if any of you have tried this and if you recommend it.

I'm thinking its a good tactic... you can make bunches of flowers when you have spare time, and then just paint them as needed. Thoughts?

12 replies
Karen421 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 13

My friend does that, then uses her air brush to spray the base color, then I think she uses dusts to finish. Her flowers are fabulous!

weirkd Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 13

Yep! I do this all the time! You can store your flowers in a plastic bin with silicone (or Dampit) for moisture. Then you can use them when you need to! It works really well, especially when you get busy and cant find the time to do them! I especially like it for red roses. Everyone knows that when you try to achieve that really red color in gumpaste that it changes the consistancy of the paste. So I airbrush mine (you can use the regular food coloring you get at the grocery store, like McCormick brand). Then let them dry 24hrs and go back and use your dusts to create shadows and things.

SSGirly Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 13

Can you do this effect without having any airbrush set? Ie: by hand... do you use liquid or powder? Also, can you use this technique on white modeling chocolate flowers?

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGirly

I've seen people who make all of their flowers with white gp or fondant ahead of time, and then paints them individually based on what colors they need for the cake they are doing. I'm just wondering if any of you have tried this and if you recommend it.

I'm thinking its a good tactic... you can make bunches of flowers when you have spare time, and then just paint them as needed. Thoughts?

I have a friend who does this and her flowers are GORGEOUS!! The nice thing about this way of doing flowers is you can have flowers already made, but in addition, the finished flowers have a more delicate appearance to them.

jenscreativity Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah I was wondering if you can paint/brush them by hand also?? If so,,,what do you use??

Thanks!

Loucinda Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, you can paint them by hand, do not use the gel colors though - they never really dry properly. I have painted with airbrush color by hand several times (before I got the airbrush booth - it was a pain to clean the mess up!) Give them time to dry (a couple of days). If you want the color to be lighter, thin the airbrush colors down with some alcohol that is at least 80 proof ( I use everclear) that way it doesn't hamper the drying process.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 13

You can also drydust them with lustre dust and steam them. I did that with my Fall Calla lily cake (in my pix.) Very shiny!! icon_biggrin.gif

SSGirly Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 13

and will it work on modeling chocolate too? or just gp or fondant?

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGirly

and will it work on modeling chocolate too? or just gp or fondant?

Will what work? You can drydust modeling chocolate but you cannot steam it or you will melt it. You can airbrush with colored cocoa butters (buy them premade) but you cannot use regular airbrush color or it beads.

SSGirly Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks. I just wasn't sure if the drydusting would adhere to the chocolate. I've never tried it before and I'd like to do them for an upcoming cake

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 13

If you look in my pix, I did a couple rose cakes that were drydusted. One was white with gold dust and one was chocolate with Fall colors (heart's desire cake.) Worked like a charm. icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 13

Is it difficult to get the color all the way down into the rose?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%