Last Minute Orders

Business By beesweetcakes Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm by cakesdivine

beesweetcakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:18am
post #1 of 13

I was just wondering if any of you accept last minute orders and if you do, do you add a rush fee? I have received a couple of last minute orders. I wasn't sure if I should add a rush fee and if so what is the norm. I am very new to this. I can't go by what is normal for my area. I live on a military installation outside of the US. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

12 replies
Ambar2 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:45am
post #2 of 13

I add ten dollars to whatever my regular price would be, but thats me I live in Puerto Rico, people down here dont make much...

Jenn2179 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 13

I don't usually add a rush fee because I won't take the order if I don't have the time. If I do have the time then it's an extra order I didn't have before.

lapazlady Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 13

If I have the time, I take the order. It's an order (income) I wouldn't have had otherwise.

aligotmatt Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 13

If I have time to take an order, I just take it, if I don't, I don't. So I don't add an extra fee. If someone called me on Friday for a Saturday wedding, no rush fee would make that cake look good if I had to start baking right then.

The only time I *may* add any type of fee for shorter notice is if it meant I had to pay higher shipping to have fondant or something in time for them.

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 13

I also don't add a rush fee.I wish I could but if I can take the order I do and consider it an extra cake I didn't have before.

jenmat Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 13

I tried a rush fee, but every time I tried to add it on, the customer would go somewhere else. So if I can do it and do it well, I will, but most of the time, I'm not going to knock myself out.
Now, if you are the only show in town (like on a base), you probably could try and get away with it because its not like there are a ton of bakers waiting in the wings for it.

costumeczar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 13

If someone calls the week that they want the cake I usually just say I can't do it. If it's a client I've worked with and I could do it, I will, but I probably wouldn't charge a rush fee. My pricing is higher than Walmart anyway so if they appreciate what they're getting from me I wouldn't penalize them for having good taste! icon_wink.gif

strathmore Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 13

I don't add a fee on but tell them they cannot have a very custom cake but whichever is the quickest to do - ie not 3d but a 2d or 1d picture on the top of the plain cake.

beesweetcakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13

Thank you everyone for the good advice. I've decided no rush fee but also no custom cakes with less than 24 hours notice.

indydebi Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 9:03am
post #11 of 13
Originally Posted by beesweetcakes

Thank you everyone for the good advice. I've decided no rush fee but also no custom cakes with less than 24 hours notice.

No matter how often I hear it, it's just amazing that people will try to order a custom made, special design cake in under 24 hours. icon_eek.gif Um, I think that's what walmart is for .... people who tend to forget that birthdays come at the same time every single year. icon_lol.gif

To the original question, I never added a rush fee. If I had the time, I booked it. If not, I referred them to another baker in town.

My favorite, though, is the poor guy who called multiple bakers (including me) at 11:00 a.m. and wanted a carved cake to look like his car for a dinner he was throwing at 5:00 that afternoon!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I said, "Dude! (yeah, really, I said "dude!"), do you have ANY idea how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that?" icon_lol.gif

tracycakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 13

Like many others have said, I don't charge a rush fee. If I am booked, I turn it down. If not, I get more money that week. Last weekend, I should have just turned down a couple. I do NOT like working until 3:00 AM.

cakesdivine Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 13

I do on occasion. It just depends on if I have time to squeeze in their request, and if they are a friend I usually don't slap on my $25 rush fee. But if it is a stranger or a friend/family member who continually waits to the last minute then yes I charge a late fee of 10% of order or $25 minimum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%