I Need To Know About Ready To Use Fondant.

Decorating By tntripleb Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 4:35pm by Crazboutcakes

tntripleb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tntripleb Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:52am
post #1 of 11

I bought Wilton's ready to use fondant and have never used it before. It mentions something about adding things to it to make it taste better. For one, does it taste bad and two do I add to it? What and how much? Any help would be great! Got to start on some of it tomorrow but got to have it complete by Friday. Thanks in advance!

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:09am
post #2 of 11

Did you taste it? If you like it, you don't need to do anything.

If you don't like it, you can add some appropriately flavored extract a tsp. at a time until you do like the flavor.

HTH

Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:21am
post #3 of 11

I have used the wilton fondant and i didn't mind the taste too much. Obviously, it does not taste as fresh or as good as the home-made one. But, as JanH mentioned, taste it to see if you like it or not.

However, i did find the wilton fondant smell very peculiar. So, i did add some extract to it ( vanilla or almond or a combination of both). But, make sure your extract is clear in color so that it does not affect the color of your fondant.

As for the quantity of extract to be used, i always start off with a couple of drops and then work my way up because too much liquid can change the consistency of your fondant.

Hope this helps.

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:04am
post #4 of 11

this may not be very helpful for the project you are working on now, but i have never cared for wiltons fondant. i have made homade fondant, mmf, and tried every brand of ready to use out there. in the end i recommend fondarific hands down. the prices are all in the same ball park, but fondarific tastes great, comes in flavors that are actually GOOD, you can purchase it colored, it rolls the thinnest i have ever worked with, and gives me the longest work time imaginable! it never gets super hard and brittle, the company is fantastic, everyone is super honest and nice, you get cut a break if you have a buisness and tax id #...i know this isn't gonna help you now but believe me, give fondarific a whirl in the future, they offer a sample pack for less than $8, just so you can get an idea. i swear by it now!!! good luck!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:15am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_whiz

But, make sure your extract is clear in color so that it does not affect the color of your fondant.

Excellent tip! thumbs_up.gif

tntripleb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tntripleb Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 11

Thank you so very much Ladies!!! This helps me soooo much!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:02am
post #7 of 11

The new wilton fondant tastes better than any I have tasted so far...including fondx..........its nice to work with and it tastes really yummy...I really love it now!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 11

the buttercream flavor of SatinIce is pretty good and smells good. I haven't noticed any difference in Wilton Fondant, although others have reported a change. Fondrific has always been outside my budget.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:12am
post #9 of 11

I heard about the wilton improvement from sugarshack, so I tried it again...it rolls out like fondx and it really tastes good.....the old stuff was horrible.

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 11

wilton actually changed thier fondant!?!?!?! LONG OVERDUE!!! i will definitely check it out...but still a fondarific lover! i like to have a back up when i start getting low on my supplies, since fondarific has to be shipped it would be great to know there is something out there i can grab in a pinch at a local store, and not hate using!!!! icon_smile.gif thanks for the info!!!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 11

I have tried the wilton fopndant and I am overly thrilled with it flavored or not but it does the job I guess, I did find a recipe for mmf and it was fantastic will definatley use it again and again don't recall where in CC that I found it but here it is.
INGREDIENTS
1 (454 gm) bag of mini marshmallows
2 tbsp. water
5-6 cups of icing sugar
1 tsp. of lemon,vanillia, orange or almond extract (optional)
METHOD
Place the mini marshmallows in a large bowl. Add water. Microwave it for one minute. Let it sit for about a minute and microwave it again for another minute. than slowly add sugar and cointinue to kneed as you go until all mixture is combined, don't forget to add your flavoring I added 1 teaspoon at a time to taste.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%