Paramount Crystals In Canada

Decorating By babycakeslondon Updated 19 Jun 2013 , 1:43am by jgarratt

babycakeslondon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakeslondon Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:44am
post #1 of 20

Does anyone know where I can buy paramount crystals in Canada? I am from Ontario and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Golda's Kitchen in Toronto is always my favourite place for everything baking, but even they don't carry it. I've even tried looking for websites for Canadian baking supply companies and still no luck. If I were to order them from a US website, I'd pay more for the shipping then I would for the actual product! Has anyone here in Canada ever purchased paramount crystals?

19 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 20

Can you tell me what paramount crystals are or used for? I'm thinking I know this item by a different name. I live in Windsor and can access stuff from States , if necessary. I have run into same problem where I can't get items in Canada and U.S. company won't ship here either.

babycakeslondon Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:07am
post #3 of 20

Paramount crystals are used to thin chocolate or candy melts. They look like thin pieces of broken up wax (I believe it is actually shortening). I've had alot of difficulty getting my chocolate fluid enough for dipping when I make cake pops.

sewsugarqueen Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 20

I remember using those a long time ago to thin my chocolate melts. They were great. I couldn't find them anymore. I now use vegetable or canola oil being very careful to only add a few drops at time until it is more fluid. Use very little because you want them to get hard. Try that instead.

sewsugarqueen Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 20

I remember using those a long time ago to thin my chocolate melts. They were great. I couldn't find them anymore. I now use vegetable or canola oil being very careful to only add a few drops at time until it is more fluid. Use very little because you want them to get hard. Try that instead.

sewsugarqueen Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 20

Sorry for repeat I really don't know why that happened. Well as I was doing my chocolate order what do I come across --- something similar to paramount crystals. It's from chocolat chocolat in Montreal. They have web site so go to chocolate product section.--- mycryo 550g   $CAN 18,95 -
FOR SALE IN CANADA ONLY
With the advent of MYCRYO®, 100% pure cocoa butter, tempering becomes an easy task, simple... helps keep chocolate liquid longer to work with but does harden. If you don't want to try veggie oil then try this.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 20

Try adding a little bit of Crisco shortening before you go to all the trouble of ordering something. The odd time I've had to thin out chocolate, this worked fine. And you've always got Crisco on hand, right?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 20

Good Luck!
And I agree, the shipping is crazy!! then on top of it, we get hit with customs fees icon_eek.gif
Jodi icon_smile.gif

babycakeslondon Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 20

I've actually tried using both vegetable oil and shortening but I had to add so much of it that it was almost 50% oil. It tasted horrible and it still wasn't runny believe it or not! I thought maybe my chocolate was just too old and that's why I couldn't get it fluid enough. But I had just bought a few new bags of chocolate and it was doing the same thing. I suppose it could be old as well; who knows how long it was sitting on the shelf before I bought it!

I've heard that adding paramount crystals doesn't give a nasty taste to the chocolate like shortening and oil can. I'd really like to give them a try (if I can ever find them...)

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 20

When I add the shortening, I also then reheat it a bit to help melt it. Are you trying that?

Chocolate that has a white 'coating' to it is old. It's lost it's 'temper' and won't work the same. You never see the chocolatiers on challenge use 'whitened chocolate' - it just won't work properly.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 20

Can you not use cocoa butter? I have seen it at McCalls before and I am sure you only need a little at a time.

For Cakepops I always use the coating chocolate from the bulkbarn.

I'm sure you already know but do you melt your chocolate over LOW heat? What kind of Chocolate are you using?

shelly88813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly88813 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:29am
post #12 of 20

Wonderful post... Very informational and educational as usual!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:55am
post #13 of 20

Yes what kind of chocolate are you using ....
I tried making candy clay with the normal candy melts you buy at superstore (bulk) they turned out horrible, im guessing its a cheap kind of chocolate...
try changing the chocolate thumbs_up.gif

babycakeslondon Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 20

I eventually ended up buying paramount crystals online from the states (paid an arm and a leg for shipping). It helped a little, but not much. The final conclusion was that my chocolate was just no good; it was too old. Even though I had just bought it, it did have the white "bloom" on it. All of the Wilton chocolate I had bought was like that (and it was purchased at 2 different stores). So now I will never buy Wilton candy melts ever again and I stick to the chocolate disks sold at the Bulk Barn. I've never had a problem with their chocolate and it is replenished quickly enough in the store that it doesn't get old and start to "bloom".

shelly88813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly88813 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:30am
post #15 of 20

thanks dude..

The Head Elf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Head Elf Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 11:41pm
post #16 of 20

Paramount crystals are available at Golda's in Brampton or on line.  I just got some today.

I will use them to soften chocolate for certain candies. 

The Head Elf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Head Elf Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 11:50pm
post #17 of 20

Paramount crystals are available at Golda's in Brampton or on line.  I just got some today.

I will use them to soften chocolate for certain candies. 

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 3:32am
post #18 of 20

You can now get them at Flour Confections out of Toronto too.

smilyface4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smilyface4 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 5:50pm
post #19 of 20

Hi there, I just bought some Paramount Crystals from Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga.  They do have them and you can order them from their online store as well.  They have saved many of my cake pops!  Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

jgarratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgarratt Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:43am
post #20 of 20

ACheck out www.whiskcakes.com they carry them..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%