Can You Refrigerate Fondant?

Decorating By Cargen Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 5:37am by mrsfoxxy2u

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:01am
post #1 of 3

I am working on a cake right now that is iced in buttercream, but I am going to put fondant stripes and polka dots on the cake. My question is can I refrigerate it once I put the accents on? It has a filling with instant pudding in it that I think should be refrigerated.

Your expertise is much appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:49am
post #2 of 3

I refrigerate my cakes all the time and never have a problem. I use MMF. When it does come back down to room temperature, it will sweat. Just let it sit untouched and within 2-3 hours the condensation will be dried up and the cake will be fine.

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #3 of 3

i don't use mmf all the time, i use various brands and mixes depending on the project. you will hear ALOT of people scream "refrigeration is the downfall of fondant...never refrigerate fondant...if you refrigerate it it will melt..."etc. in almost ALL cases it will be fine, my best advice covering ALL types of fondant is to take it from the fridge, put it in a cardboard cake box (if possible, it will help absorb the moisture angelfood4 mentioned), i bought 4 mini fans i like to place around the cake (boxed or not) set them on low, but not directly at the cake, a bit up or down or to the side, a ceiling fan is a good alternative in a pinch. most importantly DONT touch it...you will leave a finger print that would be very discouraging to fix. and in your case, its mostly decorative, and not covering the cake itself...you will be just fine! good luck and have fun!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%