I Need Help With A Half Ball Shaped Cake...

Baking By JackiesCreations Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 7:30am by JackiesCreations

JackiesCreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 7

I am using my stainless steel mixing bowl as a half ball (since I don't own the proper ball pans) to bake my cake - but it took over 2 hours to bake icon_mad.gif , and when it came out it was really uneven at the top icon_cry.gif. I read in one of the posts here that you just bake as per normal, but it will take longer. Could it be the recipe I'm using isn't suitable for this? I am using devil's food, because I love the taste and the moisture. What other choc cake recipes do you recommend for this? Please share as I have to do a cake for Saturday. Much appreciated! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
madgeowens Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:03am
post #2 of 7

did you use a metal core in the center, this helps bake even from outside and inside....you can slice the crooked off the top, but if its over baked it will be dry....slice off some and taste....

JackiesCreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 7

No I didn't. I was going to, then after reading all the posts so many people said theirs turned out great without the heating core. So confused! icon_confused.gif Since the mixing bowl is deeper than a regular cake tin, can I fill past the heating core? I actually don't know how to use it (I'm just learning as I'm going here). Thanks btw for replying. I really need to get baking! icon_wink.gif

madgeowens Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:26am
post #4 of 7

no, dont fill it past the core....also you don't want to fill your bowl, the cake is going to raise, so you could be putting too much batter in the bowl. Be sure and grease the inside and outside of the core so nothing sticks insidde or outside of it. HTH

JackiesCreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:05am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've baked a second batch with a heating core (and I didn't fill past it icon_wink.gif ) however my cake didn't really rise that well... all that happened was the centre sprung up along with the heating core and then cracked all throughout the top. I baked it on low (to avoid it burning) at 150 C and it took about 3 hours. I put skewer in and it was still soaking underneath, which is why I left it in for that long. icon_sad.gif I don't really know what else to do, because this is my second *fail*. I used the devils food recipe on this website, and its pretty much almost exactly to the recipe I use anyway, I just added the coffee part. Could it be the recipe? Maybe a different kind needs to be used? This one doesn't really rise that much at all. Any suggestions? I want to try one more time today... and then I'll just leave it at that... I have wasted so much ingredients already icon_cry.gif

madgeowens Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:14am
post #6 of 7

yes I would definately try a different recipe. Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Hope it soon bakes up perfect for you. Are you sure your oven temp is correct? I can't remember the calculations with celcius, what is that farenheit? Like 320 or so?

JackiesCreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:30am
post #7 of 7

Thanks madgeowens... The conversion for 150 C is 302 F (here a slow bake is 150, but I think over where you are it's 160 which is 320F). Do you think I should up the temp? My main concern is it might burn and go hard... I don't think anyone wants to eat a crunch cake icon_biggrin.gif Any recipe suggestions? It has to be choc and can't be dry... those are the specs for this order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%