Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due.

Decorating By LuluSweetArt Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 7:13am by LuluSweetArt

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:14am
post #1 of 19

Okay...so I know that this has been brought up before, and I will be the first to admit that I have blown it off in the past. But now it's happened to me and I am annoyed. I just think that when you copy someone's cake, especially one that has been recently posted by another CC member, you should give a little nod in your write up.

A little "Thanks for the inspiration" because we all draw from each others ideas and talents. I pulled up CC and there it was, an EXACT copy of a cake I did not two months ago. Now I don't think that you should have to call up Mike McCarey or Marina Sousa each time a bride walks in a says, "I want this!" Just give the person who did it first a little recognition.

Okay...that's all, thanks for listening to me rant.

18 replies
cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:37am
post #2 of 19

Your cakes are FABULOUS!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 19

If I know who did the cake, I will do that. but if bride brigns in a photo and doesn't remember where she got it or who made it, then I can't credit it.

some ideas are original to a number of people. I mean, how many different ways can you do a zebra stripe cake or wrap a ribbon around the base? My husband does stand up comedy and he wrote a bit once, ran it by me, and I said, "Yeah but it was funnier when Seinfeld did it." Hubby NEVER watches Seinfeld and he said, "No way! I just spent 4 hrs up there writign that!" I said, "sorry darlin' but it's been done."

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 19

I say this over and over...there are only so many ways to do a cake - there is no way to trace back to the VERY first person who came up with something. If you really don't want people to copy your work, I suggest not posting it anywhere, that way you don't get upset....you'll know it wasn't your work that was copied.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 19

Did the person who copied your cake win some type of award for originality from your design? If so, then yes, they owe you a commendable word. However, if they just made a similar cake then there is no problem. At least they actually made it and didn't just copy and paste your cake's photo onto their website. (Which is not right.)

When we draw inspiration from a pretty scroll design we see on a china pattern or copy a design from a magazine, we don't generally leave a big note or clipping next to the cake at the reception or celebration sight giving the proper credits for where the design came from.

In that same word, just about everything is up for grabs on the web if it's not copyrighted or trademarked.

Enjoy the fact that someone considers you so awesome they wanted to be just like you.

"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."
Charles Caleb Colton, Lacon, volume I, no. 183

icon_smile.gif As a disclaimer, I am certain I am not the orginator of any of the ideas I just shared. icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 19

Enjoy the fact that someone considers you so awesome they wanted to be just like you.

"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."
Charles Caleb Colton, Lacon, volume I, no. 183

icon_smile.gif As a disclaimer, I am certain I am not the orginator of any of the ideas I just shared. icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Good one Sweetlayers thumbs_up.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 19

Have to agree with everyone else. I understand why it upsets you, especially if its a very unique/cool/total rad/narley/out-of-this-world cake and now people are praising another person for the design it can be tough, but take the higher road and take comfort and enjoyment in knowing that you were the true originator of the cake.

In saying that, whos to say that someone, somewhere else didn't do your cake first and you never knew about it (basically what Debi said).

I say let it slide off your back and move on to designing a new cake that even more people will copy.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 19

Every time i see a thread regarding this matter - there is always one thing missing..................A picture/link of the cake in question.

Sorry, i correct myself - i did see one thread where a picture was posted...

So i ask myself - was it the OP's *creation* or is it a case of someone copying just the colour/theme/style ?

I made and decorated a cake earlier this Month - and as far as i can remember i don't think i have ever seen a cake like it - however - i won't swear 100% to that - maybe years ago i did -
The concept of the cake had been done before "pearls tumbling off a cake" -nothing new in that - but whether they tumbled out of a flower - and the cake was Black - thin and tall........- who knows.

Who and how would i know who to thank - if that is the case.

If i never want anyone to take an idea and run with it from one of my cakes - then i won't post them for 275312154751 people to see.

On the other hand - if i saw a cake on here that i thought suitable for one of my customes and i made it and posted a pic - i would then say - thankyou to XXX for the ideas....IF I KNEW WHO TO THANK

Two CC's have done exactely that in regards to me.
The only reason i knew is because they pm'd me - but honestly - if they didn't advise me - and then i saw it - i would think -
Good on you for attempting/making it - thumbs_up.gif

I am sure that by posting a link to the cake i refer too - many CC's will come on and say "hey Bluehue - here is one similar that i did years ago".
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1862736

I did google white pearls on Black cake before i made it - and didn't see anything similar - but that doesn't mean - there isn't one or more *out there*

Be chuffed that someone thought your cake was worthy of copying -

Which ever cake that is that we are speaking about. icon_confused.gif

Bluehue.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1862736

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 19

LuluSweetArt I your cakes are very - very nice; I can see people copying you. If it was an exact copy she/he should have pm you, but I also agree, there is only so many ways to do some things.

Bluehue that cake is gorgeous and I am sure you will see it again, some time!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

LuluSweetArt I your cakes are very - very nice; I can see people copying you. If it was an exact copy she/he should have pm you, but I also agree, there is only so many ways to do some things.

Bluehue that cake is gorgeous and I am sure you will see it again, some time!

Thankyou Karen - kind of you to say....-
and i say - good on you whoever you are for copying it - just remember - if you drop some black fondant on the tiled floor - don't walk it into your pale carpet - its not a good look
icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gif.......................... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 19

I noticed in your photos that you did a Tiffany blue cake. It's very similar in design to one a did over a year ago...(though yours is nicer). I don't think you copied me because I didn't see any credit. But then, I kind of based mine on a design I saw on the internet (not here) and used it. (though the bracelet was all me). Point is, sometimes we don't know WHERE the inspiration comes from. I try to give credit to where credit is due...but then that person could have copied a cake from someone else. If you post a picture, you stand the risk to be copied! I personally would take it as a compliment and move on.
PS I really do love your tiffany cake!

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 19

As someone this happened to recently I know how you feel. When it happened to me i didnt think i would be annoyed either but I was. All I can say is that either you can confront the person or just let it go. Your cakes are beautiful!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 19

I completely understand the feeling. Although I don't have my cake copied I have seen a video of a project and then seen several people copy that cake and enter it into a contest, with no word of course to the original designer. You wouldn't expect to see that in a contest anyway.

I also agree with Indydebi, two people can come up with something pretty similar. Mine was my gelatin bubbles, I did the video on them having no idea someone in Austrailia had done them, of course, my technique did vary in several ways. However, I have to admit that when someone posted a really nice cake and gave my instructions for how to do the bubbles, it was a little annoying to not get credit. I was like a proud and upset all at the same time. It's unrealistc to give credit to my teachers for my work, but I don't give their instructions without giving credit.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 19

Personally, I think I will feel that "I've arrived!" when someone finally copies one of my cakes. It would make it even more awesome if they actually credited me for it, but I really don't think it would bother me. I guess since it wouldn't bother me, I feel that it shouldn't bother others. Of course, everyone is entitled to their feelings and opinions, so let me take this opportunity to apologize for neglecting to credit others and to thank you if I've copied one of your cakes. If I'm being honest, I probably don't have a single original idea in my entire portfolio! I find the downloading process to be cumbersome and by the time I get the cake picture in there, I can't go back and see who created the original, etc., etc. I regard CC as a treasure trove for cakespiration! Gathering pictures of cakes that I wish to someday recreate is the #1 reason I use this site. So, if you don't want mooches like me copying your cakes, please don't tempt us by posting them!!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteats0919

As someone this happened to recently I know how you feel. When it happened to me i didnt think i would be annoyed either but I was. All I can say is that either you can confront the person or just let it go. Your cakes are beautiful!

Ditto. It's a weird, conflicted feeling.

My situation is a little weird, though. The cake of mine that was copied is one that I credited someone else for their inspiration. Go figure!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #17 of 19

I would love it if someone copied my cakes. Would never expect anything, I feel like everyone takes inspiration from many places. What if they thanked the person, and found out that they copied it from someone else. Too many people to thank. icon_wink.gif

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:26pm
post #18 of 19

I agree with all these posts. Sometimes, we search the net to find ideas or inspiration. In my case, I spent hours trying to find ideas for a cake that had a theme that I was not too familiar with. After searching for so long, I just went for it. I knew I had seen something like it somewhere, but could not remember exactly were it was as I had gone through what felt like a gazillion pictures. And for me, I was not going to try and find it after all that.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:13am
post #19 of 19

Like I said before, we all draw inspiration from each others' talents and creativity. That's one of the things I love most about this site, the wealth of information and ideas that are here. But what bothered me, and no I am not going to post the pictures because I do think that it's petty, was that this cake was an EXACT replica. Not similar, not inspired, replicated. From a cake I posted quite recently. And the person who copied it commented on my cake, so I know that they knew where the idea had come from. And that's why it bothered me. I agree that I probably should have given thanks to all the inspiration I have received from this site for some of the cakes I've done in the past, and now that I know how it feels I will be better about it. And Indy...I agree with you, when you are asked to replicate something you can't always give credit, nor should you have to...there are only so many ways to do ribbon around the bottom of a cake. Like I said, in this particular case, the cake was an exact copy of a recent cake and the person who copied it had commented on it. And that's why it upset me. But I will take your advice and try to see the flattery in the imitation. Thanks again for listening to me whine, it's another of the many things I love about CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%