To Say Or Not To Say To A Client: I Am A Home Baker

Business By Dreme Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 12:49am by CWR41

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 19

I have noticed that the majority of my clients think I have a storefront. People seemed shocked when I try and explain to them that I do not have one and that I'm actually home based. Its getting to a point where some people seem irritated that they can't just come by. I wont give out my address to a client unless I know that they are serious and put money down on an order.

How do you as a home baker handle this? Should I put this on my website somewhere? Will saying this upfront deter some clients?

18 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 19

I do, just because I don't want them disappointed I don't have a storefront....on the other hand, I also say "licensed and insured" and that usually makes them feel just fine about it.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 19

I do say and do have listed right on my website that I am a licensed, inspected, insured home based bakery. Some do look surprised but most never have a problem with it. I've had couples actually tell me that they prefer it.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 19

I find its all about how your present yourself. I don't call it my bakery. I call it my "studio."
Makes people both understand how it can be in your home and also impress them with your implication that their cake is made by an artist.

I actually have pictures of the bakery right on my site, so if they are wondering what it entails to have a home baking studio, all they have to do is pay attention.

I used to have the same identity problem, but once I realized that there can be a marketing benefit to being small and private, I also realized it was more of a confidence problem on my part vrs a snobby issue on theirs. Don't apologize for being at home, be proud of it, and your clients will respond in kind.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 19

Ditto on all the above. I also invite them to my home for their tastings, they can SEE how clean my home is. They can SEE my kitchen - I am very proud of my business!

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 19

The studio is available by appointment only. Period. That's all you have to say. Unless you don't really have a studio, that would be lying, but I digress.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 19

I love that, "the studio" is a great idea and have "appointment only" hours is even better.
Great advice!

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:10am
post #8 of 19

I don't have it on my website, but I am upfront with people that I am a licenced home baker and that I require appointments if they would like to come by to discuss a cake. I find that the only people put off by it are those who wanted something right away- whom I couldn't accomodate anyway.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:36am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmysCakesNCandies

I find that the only people put off by it are those who wanted something right away- whom I couldn't accomodate anyway.

Those people aren't your clients. They are grocery store shoppers then. Trust me, you don't want the "I want it and I want it now" clients.

Dreme Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:47am
post #10 of 19

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Does anyone take appointments for the everyday orders? I really just want to meet with the clients with large or complicated orders only. Not the smaller ones. What is a nicer way of saying or letting people know on the site, without having to ask me, that I only meet with clients that have the larger or more complicated orders.

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:11am
post #11 of 19

Hi... like everyone else, don't be ashamed about being home based. You could maybe mention in your website "home-baked occasional cakes" or something like that? That would suggest that 1- you're a home baker and 2- you only deal with occasional cakes, not the everyday ones... if that makes sense. Anyway, just a thought. Hope you work it out. And just don't be discouraged by those few that have their noses at a 45 degree angle icon_wink.gif

Dreme Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:15am
post #12 of 19

How does this sound for my welcome greeting:

Dreme is a licensed and insured private cake studio owned and operated by Tishre Hunter. I specialize in the artistry of cakes as well as cupcakes and cookies. When baking for your special occasion, I use only the freshest ingredients. All artwork is hand crafted with care and special attention given to detail. Located in Raleigh and serving the surrounding areas. By Appointment only.

For ideas and to see my work please visit the Gallery. Enjoy your visit.

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:38am
post #13 of 19

I like that it's both warm and concise! Sounds great! Using the words studio and special occasions makes a difference. Good job!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 19

they may not be aware that your state permits licensed bakeries in a home, so definitely phrase it something like, "I'm fortunate to live in a state that permits my business to be run from my home, so it's licensed and inspected just like any store front bakery, plus I get to spend more time with my kids and family ......"

I LUV the idea of calling it a "studio"! That really kicks it up a notch!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 19

Definitely add that you're licensed, insured and inspected. If you're a member of the BBB or any other organization like that put that in there too, since that will give you added credibility.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #16 of 19

There is a baker in Maine who has a website that showcases her license/permit, kitchen and the sign for her home-based bakery. Here's the link: http://www.mainecakesandcookies.com/dianes_kitchen.htm

I learned about this baker ages ago and I just love what she is doing, she has been in business for years over 5 for sure.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebasedbaking

There is a baker in Maine who has a website that showcases her license/permit, kitchen and the sign for her home-based bakery. Here's the link: http://www.mainecakesandcookies.com/dianes_kitchen.htm

I learned about this baker ages ago and I just love what she is doing, she has been in business for years over 5 for sure.

what great marketing! It's the "if you got it, flaunt it!" attitude! thumbs_up.gif

kelleyincolorado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyincolorado Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:33pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmysCakesNCandies

I find that the only people put off by it are those who wanted something right away- whom I couldn't accomodate anyway.

Those people aren't your clients. They are grocery store shoppers then. Trust me, you don't want the "I want it and I want it now" clients.

Amen! Those and the clients who want to just come by and taste cake with their girlfriends because they have the day off... ugh...

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:49am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaCakes10

Unless you don't really have a studio, that would be lying, but I digress.

If I understand your statement correctly, you're referring to Jentreu's statement calling the bakery "my studio".

Jentreu wrote: "I actually have pictures of the bakery right on my site...", so you could visit the site to view the pictures before commenting about what a lie it would be to not really have a studio.

Not everyone backs up their statement with photos (nor should they have to), but if the pictures aren't convincing--I don't know what else would be. Again, forgive me if I'm mistaking your statement... it just doesn't come across as appropriate after Jentreu's post if that is who you're directing it to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%