20% Increase In Sugar?

Decorating By Fairytale Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 8:23pm by usmdesigner

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 6

I didn't know if anyone brought this up before but my daughter just noticed that a 5lb bag of sugar now weighs 4 lbs. The price is the same but they switched the weight. I never noticed this. That's a 20% increase. I think that's pretty sneaky. Wish they were just upfront with this stuff. Just sayin.

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know about the sugar because I didn't think it came in 5lbs, but companies do do that. Most people never notice or pay attention to it being smaller with out the price changing on it.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 6

I've been watching this, and market indications show that flour, sugar, etc. will all go up a lot. Have any of you thought of how you would handle a huge increase in cost with a bride where you've quoted their cake a year in advance? Even a 20% increase is a lot to absorb.

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 6

It's been about two years now since they changed the size of the sugar bag from 5lbs to 4lbs. The flour that I buy hasn't changed yet but I've notice that the eggs are quite a bit higher now than they were a year ago.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

yes I have noticed that too. something else that I have noticed is that people just grab the first item from the shelves and don't even look at the date or check ingredients or for example if cans are dented or not . I always have to look at dates, ingredients and etc.. you know what else. walmart's product selection is much limited now. they used to have many different brands but now it is like they have half of the brands they use to carry.

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 6

From what I've been reading, groceries in general are going to be going up within the year even more. Our dollar is being destroyed, so there isn't much alternative to the price hikes. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%