I'm On A Cake Break..

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 10:31pm by adventuregal

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 7

Just curious if anyone else takes little breaks? I was booked every weekend, at least 2 cakes each week and I couldn't have loved it more! Well I had an order for a shaped cake in October that ruined me! The baking was horrible, the fondant was horrible, all in all, everything (according to me) looked terrible! I ended up trying to give the cakes to the client, I told her I wasn't happy at all, but she still paid, and even referred me on to someone else.

It completely made me question my skills and I haven't taken an order since. icon_sad.gif I've been afraid that I'll not come through and that was so hard for me!

Since all this has happened, I've tried a few things different. I made my own cake release (saw it on a thread here a few days ago) which worked amazing for my husbands bday cake!! Since my fondant (I tried twice) came out bad both times, yesterday I made DMJ69's buttercream fondant. It tasted great, and it was so great to make it using a mixer!! I haven't covered a cake with it yet but my daughter's birthday is this weekend, so I'll give it a go then! So I guess if all goes well with my daughters cake, I'll get back into it.

Thanks for listening! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 7

WE all have bad days and cakes that just don't work out the way we wanted them to. Don't let it discourage you.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 7

Let me just say Bagunts, that you cakes are lovely. Sometimes a break let us get back into it with a fresh eye. The fact that your client insisted on paying you for a cake that didn't meet your standards, tells me that you're being a bit hard on yourself. Keep the faith icon_smile.gif

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both! I'm getting excited to get back into it and hoping my break has done me well! icon_smile.gif

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 7

I had a cake disaster on the 4th of July and was just ready to throw in the towel at the time. I had a cake that I was commited to doing for a friend 2 weeks later that was to be delivered 3 hours away and I was completely nervous the entire time but it turned out great and really helped boost my confidence back up. My point is everyone has their days and though it might be in the back of your mind, you just have to push it out when it tries to rear it's ugly head and boost your confidence with some kick butt cakes! Even if it's just for family/friends. Good luck and keep on cakin'!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 7

Hey, we've ALL been there at some point! I think a break is just what the cake-doctor ordered! You'll be amazed at what you'll be able to accomplish when you get back into the swing of it!
IMHO...plan your breaks in your scheduling ahead of time; that prevents you from having the 'blow-outs'icon_smile.gif

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry to hear you had a bad cake experience. It sounds like you have pretty solid skills and just had a bad day. I hear about these "bad cake gods" that visit us decorators-people post about it on here all the time hehe I think when we have those days its probably when there is something else going on in our head stressing us out. I'm sure you'll be right back to doing great cakes with your next one thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%